Eye Strain from computer screens

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Eye Strain from computer screens

Postby barwonfan » 20 Aug 2021 22:44

Some claims have been made that the blue light emitted from computer screens can be deleterious. I get eye strain from my lap top after about 10 minutes. I am wondering if there is any truth in this blue light theory. Also, do those spectacles with special lenses , which claim to counter the effects of blue light work? I am a slow typist, and spend much of my time looking at the black and white letters and numerals on my laptop, and looking out the window into the garden frequently, but I still get the dreaded eye strain, and it hangs around for about an hour or so after I finish with my computer. I am about 85 years of age and have my eyes checked every couple of years, use reading glasses for reading the newspaper, and glasses prescribed for computer. I have just had both cataracts done, am hoping that when I get my new glasses in a few weeks that all will be good. J.T.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Re: Eye Strain from computer screens

Postby Fred » 21 Aug 2021 08:35

Hi John

I don’t think the blue light from computers actually causes eye strain. Blue light may alter your sleep patterns but not cause headaches. There are several places that say that you need special screen protectors or filters, but they are simply trying to get you to part with your money.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/en-gb/digital-eye-strain/get-relief/

Try adjusting the text size and brightness.

Also read up on link.
https://www.thelondonclinic.co.uk/conditions/eye-strain

Regards

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Postby barwonfan » 22 Aug 2021 11:34

Thank you, Fred for your comments on my post also the links you sent which I found most interesting. J.T.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 22 Aug 2021 13:02

JT,

To change the text size you are reading, hold down the Ctrl key and roll your mouse-wheel away from you. (Equally, roll the mouse wheel towards you if you want to make the text smaller).

Here are two screen shots of the result of doing this to this post as I am writing it.

And the below is after rolling the mouse wheel two clicks (one would have been enough, I think!)

When you turn your computer OFF and then ON again it should remember what setting you had it on.

Hugh

PS. Thanks Brian007 for telling me this a few years ago. I do this all the time when I can't read something properly .. but it doesn't work in all situations. There are some websites where doing this makes no difference.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby barwonfan » 23 Aug 2021 23:35

Thank you, Hugh for telling me about holding down control and using scroll. This has made a huge difference for me. J.T.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Postby dentyr » 26 Aug 2021 14:20

Hello John, For permanent changes to the font size (and lots of other things) then you have to make a global change.
1 From the start button in the bottom left corner, open the list and click on PC Settings. This will open up a big box.
2 Click on Ease of Access. This will bring up various settings where you can change the size of fonts and most other things.
3 Adjust what you want and close it off. These setting are permanent until you change them again.
Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter