Just gone bonkers!

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Just gone bonkers!

Postby SysExJohn » 23 Mar 2013 11:33

For some time I've been looking for a keyboard that would mainly serve as an input device to sequencing the classical tracks that I make for rehearsal / performance for my wife, an operatic mezzo.
I've been looking at the various incarnations of controller keyboards for some little while, but suddenly I've shot off on a different tack and on eBay on Sunday, was the successful bidder on a Yamaha AN1x synthesiser.

It arrived on Wednesday and is absolutely amazing.
A cheap case on it, but what sounds!

A very happy,
John.
SysExJohn
Active Poster

Re: Just gone bonkers!

Postby Wally Gator » 23 Mar 2013 19:27

Sounds like a sound purchase. :lol: I have an old synthesizer I've been thinking about pulling out of the closet. Probably going to wait until I have spent more time with my S910. It's been in the closet so long I'm not sure if it will even work. It's a Siel made in Italy. Have fun! :D
Wally Gator
Mega Poster

Re: Just gone bonkers!

Postby SysExJohn » 26 Mar 2013 13:09

Wally Gator wrote:Sounds like a sound purchase. :lol:

Groan! :lol:

I have an old synthesizer I've been thinking about pulling out of the closet. Probably going to wait until I have spent more time with my S910. It's been in the closet so long I'm not sure if it will even work. It's a Siel made in Italy. Have fun! :D

This thing is amazing, it sounds very close to the old Prophet 5 (but is 10 note polyphonic), and can also make sounds very close to the old Moogs.
But is stable. No more constant retuning.
It's fully programmable, one could wish for more knobs and sliders but then it would cost a lot more, and actually everything seems logically laid out and easily accessible.
I found a copy of Gary Gregson's AN1x editor program, which fires up okay on XP, which I shall press into service alongside the hundreds of patches available on the web.

As well as the synth itself, it has a 128 pattern arpegiator and a 128 user pattern sequencer on board.
Three foot pedals, the usual pitch and mod wheels, plus a short ribbon controller that is also pressure sensitive.
And a moderately full effects section, so you don't really need an extra box.
And fully stereophonic too.
The more I play, the more amazed I am with its capabilities.

It has to be one of the best VA synths ever made, and that's not just my opinion.
I've seen correspondence in various places where people rate it higher than an Access Virus T1.

Move over Jean Michel Jarre! :lol:
Regards,
John.
SysExJohn
Active Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter