Memories to get the old grey cells going

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Memories to get the old grey cells going

Postby Abacus » 14 Jul 2013 12:20

As it’s a bit quiet here is something mainly for those in the UK, although others from around the world will probably get some of the answers.

There is an organ and keyboard player in the UK who pretty well became Top of the orchestra sound, (70s & 80s was probably their most popular time) they also did things that some punters thought were cheating, but in spite of this they were always classed as a No.1 UK Electronic organ player. (Clue: They were not tied to any particular manufacture for any length of time, but there was one instrument that most punters remember them for)

1. Who was the player and what was the instrument they became associated with?

The player had a favourite keyboard which they always used to take around the organ circuit with them made by a well-known manufacture; however the manufactures name changed during its life time to a name which was not ideal for the UK market.

2. What was the original manufactures name, and what did it change to?

The player had a particular favourite voice on this keyboard which they gave their own name to, and which varied depending on the venue they were playing.

3. What were the names that the player gave to this particular voice?

Should bring back memories for some

Bill
Abacus

Re: Memories to get the old grey cells going

Postby andyg » 14 Jul 2013 16:25

Well, I'll hang fire and answer these three if no-one else gets them, Bill! Ah, the good old days, can't beat them! :D
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Wally Gator » 14 Jul 2013 17:19

I hate it when someone knows the answer but doesn't say what it is. :lol: Now I'll have to come back, I don't know how many times to find out. :D
Wally Gator
Mega Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 15 Jul 2013 10:18

Hello Bill,

I'm not really sure that I know the answers to your questions ... back when I was in the business (early 70's to 1984) Brian Sharp was the 'man' in the industry who led the way with the 'orchestral' style of playing, but other than that whopping big Kawai he played I don't recall any other instrument being involved :?

So for the first question I will answer: Brian Sharp and the Kawai T something or other :lol:

As for the other two questions ... I haven't a clue :D

Great post Bill, keep em coming ... I might get all the answers one day :D
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby andyg » 15 Jul 2013 15:30

Ah well, as the first part has been answered...

Brian Sharp is the player. The keyboard we (or was it I?) loaned him from Kawai was the Kawai S100P synth. He'd put it on top of whatever he was playing. Probably somewhat awkward if he was supposed to be playing a gig on the Tehcnics U90! It actually appears uncredited on his album 'Nighthawk', which was supposedly all Technics. Listen for the solo violin, for example.

For some reason, Kawai decided to release the synth under two names. Kawai, and Teisco. Teisco was an organ company that Kawai had taken over back in the 60's, I think. They always referred to the organ production plant as the 'Teisco Factory'. It's where the 10 manual T50 ended up (and may still be for all I know!). They used the Teisco name on all their group equipment, like mixers and amps and, for a while, synths. At first, the Butler company sold it in the UK with the Kawai badge and the Aribiter company sold it with Teisco. Eventually, just Arbiter sold it and I believe old Sharpie managed to get one from them! The problem in the UK is the pronunciation of the name Teisco. It's not TIE-SCO but simply TESCO!

The solo female voice on the S100P was always a fun one to use, but it was yours truly that started using it before Brian did! He gave her the name 'Gladys' at first, but then took her upmarket and she became 'Dame Cynthia Sizer'.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Abacus » 15 Jul 2013 19:17

Well everything’s there apart from the organ so well done. CLUE: “If it sounds more like an orchestra than an organ, then it is probably Brian Sharp on the?”

BTW: Does Gladys still go to Bingo before performing? :D

Bill
Abacus

Postby andyg » 15 Jul 2013 20:15

Are we still talking Kawai here, Bill? If so, the biggest model Brian usually used in concert at that time was the E550. We did also have the T30 but he certainly didn't take that one around very often!

But he also used the Technics Pro 90 or U90, and we mustn't forget the RiHa Orchestra -and he'd plonk the S100P on both of those, much to the annoyance of Keith Evans and John van Til respectively!

Image .. Image
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 15 Jul 2013 20:58

Now you mention it Andy I think it is the RiHa Orchestra that Bill is looking for .... didn't Brian record an LP called 'Orchestrally Yours' on the RiHa? Or was that on the Kawai ... this getting old malarkey sucks, can't remember anything these days :roll:

You mention Keith Evans, what ever happened to him after Technics?

I have happy memories of myself and Vince along with the 'Boosey & Hawkes Electrosonic' bunch taking over the local Chinese restaurant in St Albans on a great many occasions :lol: :lol: invariably those present at these 'eat fests' were Keith Evans, Dennis Pett, Bryan Rodwell, Bob Grant, Clive Botterill, Mike Ketley and Mac .... definitely great times and I often wonder what Keith is up to these days :D
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby Abacus » 15 Jul 2013 22:29

You got it Mike, the Rhia Orchestra was the one. (If I remember correctly I think he also made some easy listening cassettes on it)

Bill
Abacus

Postby andyg » 16 Jul 2013 20:17

Orchestrally Yours was on the Kawai T30. I picked that one up in a job lot on eBay last year, and somewhere around I do have a cassette of Sharpie on the RiHa Orchestra. Can't get to the cassettes right now, huge pile of old organ LP's to be listened to and 'digitised' - right in the way of the tape drawers!

As for Keith Evans, not a clue. Tony Pegler went solo with his own company, Andy Smith has a music engraving business and also works with the London College of Music. Phil Leader became involved with the Yamaha range.

Image .. Image
andyg
Super Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter