The Organist Entertains

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

The Organist Entertains

Postby Eileen » 20 Jan 2014 15:04

Hi All ,
Just came across this which may interest you.

The guys over at popular site ORGANFAX have started a petition in relation to the BBC Radio 2 show "The Organist Entertains" hosted by organist Nigel Ogden. They are saying that the programme is not playing any Electronic Music anymore and therefore not promoting new interest with todays younger generation. The petition reads as follows;-

Does The Organist Entertains on Radio 2 do more harm than good?

Over the last 10 years or so The BBC Radio 2 programme The Organist Entertains has gone from bad to worse. Someone in charge has dictated that they will now only play Classial and Theatre Pipe organ music. Anything electronic and popular has been banned. As a result the popularity of the programme has plumited and unless things change I'm sure the BBC will just drop the show. If you want to hear more popular and electronic organ music played then please sign the petition below and we will try and make a change. Remember it is OUR BBC and OUR radio show.

If you agree and wish to sign their petition to show your support you can do so at http://www.petitions24.com/does_the_org ... _than_good

You may like to add your own views on this thread.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Re: The Organist Entertains

Postby cambsman64 » 20 Jan 2014 16:29

I have signed this
cambsman64

Postby Mike Bracchi » 20 Jan 2014 17:02

Hi Eileen

What a dreadful program this is ... quite frankly I'm of the view that it does do more 'harm than good' and I was amongst the early signatories of the petition also.

The program needs a complete overhaul starting with the 'forced retirement' of Nigel ... I think he lacks 'pizzazz' and sadly, he just ain't got it ... and 'pizzazz' is exactly what the program needs together with performers/performances with vivacity if it is to survive ...

There are some extraordinarily talented organist in the world today, a good many of them from the UK, they perform on some equally extraordinary instruments ... it is those artists and these instruments that should feature more prominently on the show.

Having said that, we mustn't forget the 'theatre & classical' instruments ... so, maybe slot on the show for these genres; perhaps a small slot featuring the keyboard as well :D

And, 11 pm .... what's that all about? .... It needs to be on much earlier :!:

The Organist Entertains has never really been much cop for the modern stuff, and theatre wise it's not been the same since Robin Richmond retired ... although it did have a bit of revival (at least I started to tune in again) when 'Rodders' had a spot on the show, but since those days, the program has deteriorated markedly.

All the best from an 'organist entertains' fan .... NOT! :D

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby andyg » 21 Jan 2014 09:00

As I've said elsewhere, you can't blame Nigel for the initial change to Hammond and pipes only, which was forced on him, together with the reduction to the 30 minute format and the move to the graveyard slot. At his request, I'd sent him a CD of a dozen items only to hear back telling me that it couldn't be used because of the change of format. He wasn't happy at the time and hoped that restrictions would be relaxed, alas it seems not.

There's no doubt that Nigel initially gave the programme a boost when he took over from RR, who did seem to be using the same material over and over. The longer format worked very well, with the 'guest' spots. As Nigel's a good friend it would be wrong for me to comment on his presenting style but I think he's cramped somewhat by the material he can use. Rodders did indeed bring a fresh feel to the programme when he stood in for Nigel.

I agree that it could do with a revamp, if only to reintroduce the electronic organ, so the petition has been signed by yours truly and I'd encourage everyone to do it. We need decent numbers to get the dinosaurs and bean counters at the Beeb thinking! I'd like Chris Jones, who started the petition, to put together a 30 or 45 minute 'alternative' programme, with a good mix of pipes and electronics, and maybe even a 'star' interview, and send that to them as well!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Active Poster

Postby Abacus » 21 Jan 2014 20:26

My views on this subject are on both the organfax website and Facebook page, but basically what Chris Jones is doing (In a genuine effort to change things) has been done so many times before, (And has always failed) that it is time to start afresh and try something new, otherwise nothing will ever change.

We need to re-invent ourselves for the current era and not try to bring the past back, which is never going to be accepted by anybody in any authority anywhere. (It will upset a large number of organ enthusiasts out there, but TOE and the organ name has to be dropped if we want to get anywhere in 2014)

Enjoy whatever you play

Bill
Abacus

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter