finding out about your keyboard-organ

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

finding out about your keyboard-organ

Postby Brian007 » 03 Apr 2014 09:30

I find keyboards -organs a really challenging instrument to master fully
I don't think I have used any of the keyboardsI have owned to there full potential
There is so much on these things and personally I always find the manual less than perfect.

So how do you go about finding out everything you instrument is capable of doing
I find a mixture of reading the manual, looking online at forums such as this one and
As a last resort just pressing buttons to see what happens ?

How do you go about learning everything there is to know about your chosen instrument
I would certainly like to know to see if there is anything I am missing ?
Brian
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: finding out about your keyboard-organ

Postby Mike Bracchi » 03 Apr 2014 11:49

Hi Brian,

I don't think any of us really get to master our instruments fully ... even the most accomplished performers are constantly discovering new things about their keyboards ... we tend to intentionally learn about the parts that we gravitate towards ... and anything else is usually a serendipitous discovery ... well it is in my case :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reliance on the user manual is a non-starter in 90% of cases as they are habitually written in 'outer mongolian' or 'klingon' :wink:

This is where forums, or should I say 'fora', like our own come in to play ... even the most difficult problems can be solved with help and advice from some of the most knowledgeable keyboard users/software writers of the international keyboard community ... Jørgen Sorensen, Michael Bedesem and Andy Gilbert to name but a few who look into forums, some more often than others, but these folk willingly offer their time to help us when we get stuck with a problem.

And of course there are many regular hobbyists who have built up an excellent working knowledge of their favourite range of instruments, like Eileen Lowry ... who will go out of her way to help anyone in all matters relating to Yamaha - particularly the Tyros series ...

But in all honesty Brian, your own last resort ... "just pressing buttons to see what happens" works fine for me :lol: :lol:

A great post ... I do hope it get some replies :wink:

All the best ...

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby Brian007 » 03 Apr 2014 13:05

Hi Mike,
Certain Yamaha keyboards do tend have the most support in terms of
forums and user groups so I think to a degree it depends on which keyboard you
purchase, Korg have started doing video tutorials which are a great help
Casio are probably one of the worst keyboards for user support, but
like you said push the button and see what happens.

Brian
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Abacus » 03 Apr 2014 19:09

Hi All

Backup your settings, and follow the advice above (Press a few buttons and see what happens) making sure you also try things that shouldn’t work together. (If you check out a lot of professional’s registrations you will find mixes that seem nonsensical but sound great (Orchestral and synth sounds for example)

Many manufactures are also now doing video tutorials for their products to help sell them, so have a word with your dealer when purchasing and you will be surprised what help is available. (If the dealer just wants to sell you a box, steer clear)

Forums are another way to get help, but playing about usually works fine.

Tip: use a tablet or computer to record a Midi file of your playing (Not the one built into the instrument) then play it back and alter the sounds and settings while it plays, (Regularly saving in a pre-set as you go along) as it is much easier to get the balance and settings correct (As well as being able to try new things) if you don’t have to play at the same time.

Hope this helps

Bill
Abacus

Postby Jon D » 03 Apr 2014 21:10

Hi there Brian,
We all have different ways of achieving the sounds we are looking for I look for the mellow sounds pressing buttons is a good idea but you will find the sounds come to life when you alter some of the affects if you get to fence houses club I will have a word with you will try to put you on the straight and narrow cheers my friend keep button pressing. :roll: :roll:
Jon D. :shock: :shock:
Hi there I have played from the age of 13 and all my music is played in a sort of dance tempo style. Have worked in nearly all the North East clubs over the years. That gave me a good grounding. Cheers.
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 April; November (Joint Winner)
2022 June; November
2023 January; August (Joint Winner)
Jon D
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 04 Apr 2014 08:01

Thanks for the advice Bill will certainly give it a try,
Jon would welcome any advice that's offered, will certainly have a look
Over at the club in fencehouses, which one is it ? I only know of the Burnside club

Brian
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 04 Apr 2014 08:03

Hi Brian. It is the Burnside and the next meeting is the 14th. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 04 Apr 2014 08:30

HI Guy`s,
Press and learn is the way I go, reading the manual first is always best before you start, but hands on has got to be done and the more you explore and get to know your keyboard the better progress you will achieve in your settings, I am no great player but love trying to improve my settings to my liking, more satisfaction I think. :roll: There has been some good advice and help handed out here in this chapter. Thanks. ATB. jackoj. 8) 8) :) :)
Korg PA4X, Roland SL80
Image HAPPY PLAYING 2023
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 January (Joint Winner); February (Joint Winner)
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 04 Apr 2014 10:49

John T, thanks for the info on the fencehouses club night, I am planning on visiting the white hills this monday night so hope to see some faces then.

Jacko, thanks for all your help and advice
Brian
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter