Can you help ... Re: Brian Lake

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Can you help ... Re: Brian Lake

Postby fiona lake » 26 Aug 2014 00:33

My sister Vanessa and I, Fiona Lake, lost our dad a year ago. We are compiling a lovely photo album with memories of dad's wonderful musical career.

Would be wonderful to hear from anyone in the music world who knew dad. He was a session musician in the 1960s, joined Selmer in the 1960s, and worked for many organ-related companies working as a demonstrator/musician to develop various sounds including Lowrey, Technics and Yamaha.

Would love to hear from anyone out there!
kindest regards Fiona Lake

Can you help at all !!
fiona lake

Re: Can you help at all !!

Postby Wally Gator » 26 Aug 2014 04:33

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for your loss. It may help if you would tell us your fathers name and where he is from.
Wally Gator
Mega Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 26 Aug 2014 16:43

Hello Fiona,

I'm sorry to hear that you and your sister lost your dad recently .... I have posted your message on the forum and you can click on the link below to navigate to the post on the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=152&t=2951

The brief description you gave of your dad puts me in mind of Brian Lake who worked at Selmer, the confusing thing about this is that there were two Brian Lakes employed by the company at the same time ... whilst I didn't know either of them personally my business partner (Vince Burgum) was a very good friend of a Brian Lake whilst they worked together at Southern Organs who then went on to open a shop in Waterlooville ... the second Brian Lake opened his own business after leaving Selmer, I believe it was somewhere in Lincolnshire.

Perhaps you would clarify this with me as I am sure that there will be members on our forum who must have known your dad ... I have sent a copy of your message to Vince, he is also an administrator of the our website.

Best regards,

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby fiona lake » 26 Aug 2014 16:44

Yes it's Southern Organs Brian !!!!
Really look forward to hearing from you !!!
Kindest regards
Fiona Lake
fiona lake

Re: Can you help ... Re: Brian Lake

Postby andyg » 26 Aug 2014 21:53

Hi Fiona

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I first met Brian at Southern Organs back in 1970 or 1971, it would have been at the Southwick branch. I was only about 13 at the time, mad about electronic organs, though I couldn't play that much at first. Whenever Brian was there, he always had time for me, to show me a few things about his beloved Lowrey organs and, as he and his colleagues realised that I was actually going to be a bit better than your average teenage player, he gave me lots of encouragement.

He was usually there at the Southern Organs Keyboard Club meetings, the early ones being held at the Cricketers Arms across the road from the shop. He, Jackie Brown and Vince Burgum would occasionally call me up and get me to play a few numbers and that led to my first ever concert engagement for the club a few months later.

Later on, when I'd progressed to being Chief Demonstrator for Kawai organs in the UK, I'd bump into him at shows where he was working for National organs with his colleague Sonya. When he opened his organ shop in Waterlooville, he expressed an interest in stocking Kawai organs. We left him our top model, the E550, for a week or two and he was impressed. I'd helped to design and voice that model and he was most complimentary about my work. That really meant something to me.

My lasting impression of Brian is of a gentle, quietly spoken man, who was a great player, a valued colleague in the business and a firm friend. It was a pleasure to know him.

Andy Gilbert
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby fiona lake » 29 Aug 2014 18:36

Dear Andy
So lovely to hear from you and your message about our dad. Thank you so much. Music clearly made a lasting impression on you!!
Would you have any pictures back in those days? We have 2 from Southern Organs.
Kindest regards
Fiona Lake
fiona lake

Re: Fiona Lake .... New Member

Postby VinceB » 30 Aug 2014 11:49

Hello Fiona

Welcome to this forum.

I was very sorry to hear about your Dad. I knew Brian well in Southern Organs days. He actually employed me as manager of Southwick branch, when he was General Manager before he went on to Southern Organs International and and start up importing National Panasonic Organs.

Your Dad was a lovely man always ready to help everyone and he never seemed to have a bad word for anyone. He was one of the music industries real gentlemen.

Please accept my condolences and also pass them to your sister and all your family.

Kind regards

Vince Burgum
VinceB

Postby keyboardplayer » 30 Aug 2014 17:41

Fiona hello, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad Brian you and your family have my deepest sympathies. I once bought an organ from your dad from his shop in Hampshire, i never met him as it was done over the phone as i live in St Peters Port, C.I. good luck in your search for his friends and colleagues, you have access to three major personalities of the old organ business on this site and i'm sure they will be able to help. did you also know that there is a topic on this forum about the Southern Organs company, use the search box and im sure it's here somewhere.

KBP
keyboardplayer

Postby fiona lake » 30 Aug 2014 17:44

Dear Vince
Lovely to hear your kind words. Not sure if you know about the book by Geoff Green re: M and B. I hope the impact on you and your family was not massive. It was a hard time for mum and dad. Was given the clippings and booklets dad had kept from those days and there is a beautiful photo of dad I am thrilled to say. It would be wonderful if you happen to have any photos with dad in them.
Thank you so much for emailing us.
Kindest regards
Fiona Lake and Vanessa Lake
fiona lake

Postby andyg » 30 Aug 2014 20:45

Hi Fiona

I don't have any photos as such, but somewhere around I have a small Southern Organs brochure from about 1970. Type-written, with a few photos. I'm sure Vince will remember it, he might well have written it!

If you don't already have it, I'll dig it out, scan it and send it to you. It has a couple of photos with your Dad in.

Andy
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby fiona lake » 02 Sep 2014 21:47

Hi
I saw the messages re: Southern Organs and played the clippings.
viewtopic.php?f=268&t=2301

In fact I have been in touch with Geoff Green and he sent me the original recordings which are apparently longer. Going to watch it tonight. Have ordered the book as well. I didn't know about the blackmailing bit. Dad never told us that bit. But then I suppose none of the staff would have known, thinking about it!
My husband and I have only just returned from Scotland having completed a long distance walk. We were in Ullapool walking - so rather strange coincidence, thinking that once upon a time M and B were there.
Really look forward to hearing or seeing anything about dad!
kindest regards
Fiona
fiona lake

Postby VinceB » 03 Sep 2014 20:38

Hello Fiona

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of Brian I have had a look through some old papers but alas nothing found. I suppose the impact on me and my family as similar to all those involved, I think everyone had a bad time and worrying period but as far as I know we all got through it. I hope your Mum and dad weathered the storm ok.

I was not aware of any blackmailing though was that by Bill and Ben themselves ? and who on earth were they blackmailing or being blackmailed by??

All the best

Vince
VinceB

Postby fiona lake » 05 Sep 2014 11:45

Hi Vince
Mum and dad coped for many years but it added a massive strain... they did divorce in 1992 in the end. Apparently M and B were allowing a 'man of the cloth' to have sex in one of their cottages at Honeywood House and he was then blackmailed by prostitutes!!! M and B somehow took on their debt which is apparently why they were getting in debt and started to commit fraud. How do you feel about them>? I don't feel badly towards them really. I wonder if they were niaive as to what would happen to the staff. As in, that they would be liable for the debt>>>? Or perhaps I am being niaive!!!
I recall what dad was most upset about was that he knew the 'official' business was solvent and he wanted to continue. He was heart broken when the receivers came in and took all those beautiful instruments for pennies.
Ness and I are going to meet Geoff Green. Feel a little nervous about it! I have ordered his book anyway. Not sure if mum will want to read it but we are going to. It can be found on amazon if you are interested to read about them!!!
Good to hear from you again. Ness and I are searching for dad's old Riley car!! It is still MOT'd so we hope to track it down and 'meet' it !!!!
kindest wishes
Fiona and Vanessa Lake
fiona lake

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter