car service

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

car service

Postby Brian007 » 29 Aug 2014 16:40

You take the car for a service and then it starts the hard sell.
Would you like us to change the pollen filter @ £69.00. / no thanks
Would you like us to 're-gas the air Con @ £59.00. / no thanks
We could put so injector cleaner Adative in £39.00 I can do this myself / no thanks

Must think we're made of money

Brian
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: car service

Postby andyg » 29 Aug 2014 17:18

Sound like the kind of thing the Main Dealer will try on. I once had a £500 bill for an interim service on a Ford Fiesta. I wasn't having that so I stood at the counter and politely (but perhaps slightly loudly!) discussed every item. 15 minutes minimum labour charge for tightening the battery terminals, 15 minutes minimum labour charge for greasing the bonnet catch and so on. I think it had about ten of these items. By the time I'd finished the bill was sub £200 - and as it was a company car I signed for it, but only after announcing (so that everyone in the queue could hear) that I'd report this to my head office and they could expect to lose the contract for all our cars - which they did!

I'm lucky, my neighbour owns the garage I use and he's serviced my cars for nearly 30 years. Only does what needs to be done and charges reasonable rates. I'm the same when I look after their computers!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 29 Aug 2014 18:46

Hi Andy,

Spot on a Toyota Main dealer in the North East
They may give you 5 years warranty , but I am begging to wonder if I can afford it ?

Brian
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 30 Aug 2014 09:57

Hi

I had a run in with the former Hyundai dealer in Bradford - I was quoted a price for a routine service - when I went to colelct the car, not only did they try and charge me more than they'd quoted, they also wanted nearly £100 for fitting a set of spark plugs! I argued - got the service at the quoted price (not much they could do about that!) and got the spark plugs down to around £50 IIRC. Guess who took their business elsewhere! Interestingly, a few months later they lost the franchise - wonder why!

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter