Hammond Organ fans

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Hammond Organ fans

Postby Michael R » 14 Nov 2014 15:26

Anyone who, like me, is a big fan of the Hammond Organ sound may be interested in this weeks "The Organist Entertains" on BBC Radio 2. The whole programme is dedicated to the Hammond Organ with some nice jazz pieces rather than the usual stuff!! It is available on the BBC website or iPad app for the next 4 weeks.

Michael
Michael R

Re: Hammond Organ fans

Postby Mike Bracchi » 14 Nov 2014 16:46

Hiya Michael,

I caught the show myself last night, I was pleasantly surprised at the varied choice of Hammond styles and sounds - it made a change to the usual 'jimmy smith' style which most Hammond artists/radio presenters seem to gravitate towards and to which I grew really tired of many years ago ....

It was nice to hear my friend Carol Williams, who spent many years practicing on a her 1937 Hammond Concert E for her doctorate, performing a great version of Tico Tico on the digital Hammond 8)
(I ended up owning Carol's Hammond Concert E for several years before I sold it to a collector in Mid-Germany ... but that's another story)

I think my favorite track last night was 'Drown In My Own Tears' by Doug Riley ... 8)

The ratings of the OE would undoubtedly shoot up if they aired more of the electronic stuff and less of all the bells 'n' whistles stuff - what do you reckon :wink:

A great finish by Howard Beaumont made the whole program very enjoyable ... something I didn't ever think I would be saying about the BBC's Organist Entertains program :D

All the best Michael :wink:

Best regards ...

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Re: Hammond Organ fans

Postby Michael R » 14 Nov 2014 22:45

I think the BBC are determined to hold on to their traditional BBC radio image with this programme for as long as possible. I don't mind listening to the odd 'light classical' pipe organ piece as Nigel Ogden calls them but surely it's time they brought the programme up to date? There was an online petition a few months ago about this and the last I heard was that the BBC thought that the current content of the programme was what the majority ot the programme's listeners wanted to hear!! But what about all the organists/keyboard players that don't listen to the programme anymore but would do if they included much more electronic organ and dare I say it, even electronic keyboard music!!! But I think those who think they know best at the BBC will take a lot of convincing to make these changes. I actually thought I heard the words "midi" and "synthesiser" mentioned last night but I think I must have misheard him!!

Michael
Michael R

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter