Well that back fired ... spectacularly!

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Well that back fired ... spectacularly!

Postby Mike Bracchi » 11 Apr 2015 22:45

Hmmmmmm ... the attempt by Tony Stace and Andrew Nix at trying to follow Jean Martyn's success with the organ on 'Britains Got Talent' failed big time tonight .... four X's in less than 15 seconds!

The electronic organ already suffers a 'lack of esteem' where the general public are concerned - so the duo's ill-chosen and particularly 'crass' style of performance was totally misconceived :(

It's such a shame, the capabilities of a modern organ/keyboard with Tony and Andrew's talent - should have had the audience, and judges, spellbound!

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Re: Well that back fired ... spectacularly!

Postby Eddie Smart » 12 Apr 2015 00:25

Hallo mick, my wife and me watched BGT this evening and I was rather embarrassed to be honest it was a shocking faux pas on part of the lads given that nearly all the world knows what Cowell thinks of keyboards and keyboardists. I also think you are being generous with the less than 15 secs! i reckon more like less than 5 seconds.
Eddie Smart

Postby dragon » 12 Apr 2015 09:50

Really disappointed again last night. Two people with the talent of Tony and Andrew out of contention within seconds and some bloke with a comb and paper being voted through. Disgust more than disappointment. What is the point of a talent show if real talent is off the stage so quickly? .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby LeoP » 12 Apr 2015 09:55

Hi Eddie and Mike,
Unfortunately people like Simon Cowell, and indeed the public to, to a certain extent, will never devlope a real respect for organ music whilst it is presented to them in an archaic 'seaside holiday resort' fashon, you only have to look towards Japan to see that the organ, keyboard and their performers enjoy the utmost respect from the county's populous. I'm sure we are all aware that some people do still very much enjoy the beer, bingo and chips type of playing but the guys do seem to have got it wrong on the night.
Leo.
LeoP

Postby andyg » 12 Apr 2015 15:40

I was with Nixy on Wednesday evening and had a chat about it. He said 'Don't blink, you'll miss it'.

The 'warm up man', perhaps primed by the panel, or at least the man who controls the panel(!), was saying things to the audience like 'Oh no, another bl***y organ' and 'It gets worse, there's two bl***y organs now!'

They both knew what was going to happen, I think they were surprised that they lasted that long! No disrespect to the talents of those two but you could put someone like Hector Olivera up there on a Roland and get him to play something from a John Williams movie score, or get Cameron Carpenter on to play Under the Double Eagle (he plays the piccolo ad lib with his feet!!) and they'd probably last the same short time before Cowell & Co pulled them off.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Abacus » 12 Apr 2015 19:24

Despite the name of shows like these, they have nothing to do with serious talent, just general entertainment.

The artists have just 2 minutes to put on a performance, however you have to get the audience and panel hooked within 10s, or you’re off. (No matter what the act)

Jean Martin went forward in a previous series by not taking things too seriously and when she begin playing, initially confirmed what a typical organ player does, however within a few seconds the drums were on with a complete up tempo turn around which took the panel and audience by surprise and got them hooked. (Yes, her playing was not up to her usual standard, but that’s not required in programs like this)

In addition mention the word organ and you automatically alienate yourself from 99% of the general public, as they automatically assume it’s either Church or Blackpool sound. (This is why if you want our modern entertainment organs to be accepted, the name organ has to be obliterated from them)

Bill
Abacus

Postby Mike Bracchi » 17 May 2015 16:35

Didn't she do well ............. :lol:
Perhaps Tony and Andrew would have been better off with a couple of 'casios' too :wink:

Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Postby dragon » 17 May 2015 17:32

They could borrow mine! .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby VAL7JEAN » 17 May 2015 20:49

What adulation !!!
Now if we all could sing and play like that.
Perhaps Tome Jones and ....
VAL7JEAN

Postby allthumbs » 19 May 2015 16:22

I too think Britain's Got Talent but it ain't on this show. They only want to promote Cowell's record label and boost his already overinflated Ego.

That's why they only have rap. (damn!!! you can see why I have the handle Allthumbs my keyboard skills are rubbish, I missed out the C
allthumbs

Postby Mike Bracchi » 19 May 2015 17:00

allthumbs wrote:That's why they only have rap. (damn!!! you can see why I have the handle Allthumbs my keyboard skills are rubbish, I missed out the C

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter