Getting my dream organ.

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Getting my dream organ.

Postby andyg » 26 Apr 2015 17:52

I'm getting my dream organ - but not in the way I would have wished for.

Over the Easter holidays I lost a very dear friend to cancer. It was apparently widespread but there were no obvious symptoms until the very end. So no-one knew he had it, and from going into hospital for some tests to his passing away took around a week. I played for his funeral, but pre-recorded the pieces the family asked for, as I'd never have been able to hold it together to play live for the service.

He was my longest standing student, and I'd taught him for over 22 years. He started with me playing very basic material - single note melodies plus chord symbols - but wanted to improve, so I taught him to read proper left hand and pedals and once he'd got the hang of it, there was no stopping him. He ended up playing some of my professional arrangements - the ones I'd play in concert - and doing very well with them. He loved all sorts of music, from theatre organ, to Hammond, big band, orchestral and classical. As his playing advanced, he outgrew the capabilities of his organs and over the years he occasionally traded up to bigger and better instruments. Last year he bought a Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, which he absolutely loved.

I knew he'd left me his large collection of music but I was knocked sideways when his family said he'd wanted me to have the organ as well.

So I'm gaining my dream organ at home, but I so, so wish that he was still here and playing the organ in his lounge. Wednesday mornings will never be the same without his lesson. But every time I play the Roland I know I'll be thinking of him.

Now I have to think practically and the current Kawai SR6 and Leslie will have to go to make room for the AT900P. I'll put the details in a classified ad or two and perhaps try on ebay UK. All proceeds will go to the family's nominated cancer charity, MacMillan Cancer Support.

RIP Bill, I'll miss you.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Active Poster

Re: Getting my dream organ.

Postby Brian007 » 26 Apr 2015 18:29

Hi Andy,

Such a sad story, I have experienced the same very recently and its so sad to lose a close friend very quickly like you have
All you can do is remember the good times you shared together.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: Getting my dream organ.

Postby dragon » 26 Apr 2015 21:11

Andy. .. I have been following this unfolding story on the Lowrey forum. Very sad but with an uplifting ending. .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter