Windows 10

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Windows 10

Postby dragon » 26 Jul 2015 16:13

Knowing virtually nothing about computers I am not sure if I have done the sensible thing in applying for it. My computer savvy son thinks it will be an improvement over my existing Windows 7. I suppose when it arrives I don't have to install it if I change my mind.
I find the info that is posted about 10 a bit confusing. If it is not applied for within a year the charge will be about £90. Or does it mean I will be charged this amount after the first year? Any ideas? .. Signed. .. Confused of Nottingham.
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Re: Windows 10

Postby Brian007 » 26 Jul 2015 18:33

Hi Fred,

As far as I can understand its free once you install it.
You have a year in which to install it after its been downloaded
and if you don`t install it with in the year it will cost to have it activated

Iam unsure my self just what to do ?

Brian007 :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Abacus » 26 Jul 2015 19:04

HI

I have been using Windows 10 since the Technical Preview came out last year, (Not as a primary OS as it is effectively Beta software) as have millions of other users, so the feedback to Microsoft has been vast, thus they have been able to get the system up and running in a form that users will be happy with. (It is the most tested version of Windows yet)

It basically takes all the good points of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 and then some.

If you upgraded Win 7or 8.1 with the Tech Preview you could go back to Win 7 or 8.1 if you didn’t like it or had problems, however I not sure if final consumer build will allow you to do this, best to use the Windows Backup program to create a system image on an external drive, which you can re-load if you have problems. (You should always have a recent backup of your system and data anyway, as disaster can strike at any time)

Hope this helps

Bill
Abacus

Postby dragon » 26 Jul 2015 22:10

Thank you gentlemen for your clear and concise answers. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 27 Jul 2015 09:29

Hi

I really wonder about the wisdom of OS upgrades, having headmany horror stories over the year. I tend to take the view that if it ain't broke, don;t fix it. I've alreadygot a couple of issues since MS forced a Windows 8.1 upgrade on this computer - most nituceably the fact that it will no longer talk to my scanner either direct or via the network (it's part of a rather expensive all-in-one A3 printer). I've not had cause to try & print from here yet - but I will need to shortly. (Scanner manufactuer's web site not much help!). I lost a lot of time trying to scan a couple of picturess the other day - ended up having to scan them to a memory stick & then transfer files to the computer to crop & use.

On that basis, I suspect that I'll stick with W8.1 on this computer, & only worry about W10 when I need a new machine. I have a few older peripherals which I really don't want to have to replace because they no longer have the correct drivers.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby SysExJohn » 28 Jul 2015 10:17

I take a similar view to Tony.

In my experience there are usually loads of bugs in the first release of ALL operating systems I've ever touched.
(I worked for more than 30 years in the computer industry, 20 of which were for a major UK manufacturer of mainframes and PCs.)

Before 'jumping in' I would check that all the things that connect to your computer have 'device drivers' compatible with Windoze 10, and that they work okay. With my expensive E-MU 1616m audio cards and interface boxes, they decided to do no further updates after Win 7. It means I won't ever upgrade beyond that.
See http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct05/articles/emu1616m.htm
In fact I'm still running on XP for most of the work I do. I haven't the money to waste on continuous replacement of expensive equipment.

My advice would be not to jump in straight away, but to let some of the bugs be worked out of the product, then download a version with updates that comes out 10 or 11 months after the start of the free period.

Just my 2d worth!
Regards,
John.
SysExJohn
Active Poster

Postby Brian007 » 28 Jul 2015 11:27

hi John,

Probably the most sensible way to go

Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Abacus » 28 Jul 2015 18:55

Always pays to err on the side of caution; however the testing done by users and with all the forthcoming regular updates, (The Service Pack looks like it’s been discontinued in favour of more frequent incremental updates) means any bugs that are still there will be fixed in the shortest amount of time possible.

If your hardware works on Windows 7, it should work on Windows 10 (Including hardware that stopped working with Windows 8.1), but as always there will be exceptions. (Much hardware still works on later OS even if the hardware manufacture no longer supports it)

So long as you remember to upgrade before the 12 month period expires (Make sure you create a reminder) you will then of course be absolutely sure.

Bill
Abacus

Postby SysExJohn » 02 Aug 2015 10:25

"Shortest amount of time possible" Hmmm! That could still be a long time.

Steinberg (it seems) is still having trouble getting their drivers working with Win10, from what I've heard.
I greatly respect the developers who work at this operating system interface level and particularly those in Steinberg.
ASIO and VST are just two of the technologies they've invented which have become industry standards.

We have to remember that e.g. Steinberg makes no money directly out of developing new drivers, often a hugely complex task.
Of course, not having new drivers impacts future sales of e.g. Cubase.

There is a lot of work to do finding out how the operating system functions right down at the physical interface, and the people who can undertake such work are few and far between. (We call them geeks.) Frequently the detail is unpublished and, where it is, it's often difficult to comprehend, and not infrequently incorrect. Thousands of hours of testing time are often involved, all for no directly connected revenue.

Me?
I'm waiting, perhaps for ever!

Regards,
John.
SysExJohn
Active Poster

Postby dragon » 08 Aug 2015 14:34

Windows 10 successfully installed. Now busy exploring. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 08 Aug 2015 14:54

Hi Fred,
Let me know how you get on please and what you think of it, I am sticking with Windows 8.1 at present on my laptop but to be honest, I prefer Windows 7 which is installed on my wife's computer, I have found that so many programmes that worked with 7, don't work with 8.1
Brian D
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 08 Aug 2015 16:26

Everything O.K. so far. Still a lot more to discover. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 16 Aug 2015 09:49

Heres something thats just been unearthed, that may make you to think twice about windows 10

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis ... 77956.html

Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Georgeandmarj » 16 Aug 2015 14:00

Hi all
I've just bought a new laptop with windows 10 on it, so far I find it quite good, it's a learning curve. It's taken my normal music programmes ok. I find it quite fast as well. So far fingers crossed.

Georgeandmarj
Georgeandmarj
Active Poster

Postby Abacus » 16 Aug 2015 18:23

Brian007 wrote:Heres something thats just been unearthed, that may make you to think twice about windows 10

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis ... 77956.html

It’s what Apple has been doing with its products for years, (Hence its stability) and if Microsoft wishes to compete (Windows 10 is designed to operate as seamlessly as Apple products) then it’s about time they grasped the bull by the horn. (Unless your goal is to deny the copyright owners their dues (I exclude record companies in this context) then I can’t see the problem)

NOTE: You can roll back any updates that cause problems, as well as choose when to reboot in Windows 10. (Like all previous OS you also get a warning)

Bill
Abacus

Postby Brian007 » 16 Aug 2015 18:31

Nothing to hide at this moment in time, I guess I just don`t like the Idea of any software producers having that much control / power regardless of who they are
so wont be rushing in just yet till it all settles down and whats fact and whats fiction is resolved.

Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Ron » 18 Aug 2015 22:07

Windows 10 installed and no problems with it. You just have to move with the times.

Having said that, I still use Windows XP on my Ham Radio computer as it runs loads of software without problems. Updating the OS is not necessary on this PC.

Regards,

Ron
Twin setup: Tyros 3 and Yamaha Piaggero NP-11
Fretless Bass, Fender Bass amp: BXR300C, Trace Elliot Commando 100W

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
2022 September (Joint Winner)
Ron

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter