Oberheim OB3 Squared - Hammond Organ clone

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Oberheim OB3 Squared - Hammond Organ clone

Postby papadeedee » 14 Aug 2015 14:01

Greetings all,
I had been planning on buying a Ferrofish module at Xmas but an Oberheim module has come up on ebay.
I am thinking of putting in a bid. Does anyone have any experience of this module ? Can anyone advise on pros and cons please ?
I would appreciate any advice given.
Brian D
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Re: Oberheim OB3 Squared - Hammond Organ clone

Postby Mike Bracchi » 14 Aug 2015 15:32

Hi Brian,

You won't go wrong by having the Oberheim, their products are very good indeed .... an American company with it's manufacturing links with the Galantis (Viscount/GEM etc etc).

As far as drawbar modules go they are all 'much of muchness' ... and when you get down to it, none of them really sound like a tonewheel organ in my opinion - not even Suzuki-Hammond's take on the Hammond Organ is up to the original tonewheel sound despite all the hype of 'physical modelling' or 'digital signal modelling technology' (I think that's what Suzuki call it) ... but they are a very good alternative :wink:

Presumably, you were originally thinking of the Ferrofish B4000 module which I believe is extremely good for the money - unless you are going to make a considerable saving on the price of the B4000 by going for the Oberheim, I would stick with your original plan and get a 'new' product.

Either way Brian, I wish you luck on your choice and I look forward to listening to your performances using the module in due course .... take care :)

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Re: Oberheim OB3 Squared - Hammond Organ clone

Postby papadeedee » 17 Aug 2015 18:53

hello mike,
Thanks for the advice, I put in a couple of bids for the Oberheim but pulled out. I have decided to buy a Ferrofish module at Xmas.
Brian D
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter