Organ Virtual software.

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Organ Virtual software.

Postby papadeedee » 22 Feb 2016 20:20

I wouldn't part with my EL 70 but I have been thinking of getting rid of my Orla Ringway for something older ha ha, like a GA3 for example but I am having second thoughts. Before I decide I wondered if anyone could tell me anything about connecting the Orla up to some kind of virtual organ software. There are loads of Hammond B3 types and pipe organ types on sale, also Abacus mentioned Kontact 5 on the Bemore post. I wouldn't know where to start.
I suspect it might need some kind of host software programme, I already have a basic Cakewalk Music Creator software.
Would I need a more powerful laptop than the 1.7 GHs, 6Gb RAM 64-bit one I use now ? and would I also need some kind of control interface ? Is it cumbersome to set up and use such a programme ?
I also haven't ruled out using something like the Ferrofish drawbar unit connected to the Ringway. Any advice on that topic would also be very helpful to me.
At present I use my E L 70 most of the time and my Lowrey piano some of the time but seldom use the Ringway.
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Re: Organ Virtual software.

Postby andyg » 23 Feb 2016 00:25

If you're going to use virtual organs then what you 'drive' them with isn't too important. All most virtual organs want is note on/off, volume pedal data and hopefully programme change data from the preset pistons. Anything else may be a bonus, but most likely will be ignored!

So what organs should you think about? For Hammond sounds, you won't beat VB3 from Genuine Soundware. Or a legitimate used copy of Native Instruments' B4 or B4-II. For theatre organ, the basic Miditzer is free, the larger version is $100. The basic version of Hauptwerk includes a good sounding English church organ and several organs are available free, including a 3 manual 10 rank Wurlitzer.

You need a decent computer, 4GB of RAM for Hauptwerk and an ASIO capable soundcard or audio interface. VB3 also needs the ASIO interface. Midtizer is less demanding. Audio from the computer usually gets routed back into the organ's amps and speakers.

Setup is usually easy enough. You make sure that the organ's MIDI channels are set to: Upper - 1, Lower - 2, Pedals - 3 and Solo (if available) - 4. MIDI Control data is usually on Ch16 or Ch1. Hauptwerk requires a bit of setting up but the programme does take you through the process when you run it for the first time.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 23 Feb 2016 08:41

Hi Brian D.

For what its worth, in my limited experience of virtual instruments the biggest problem is latency, the time it takes from pressing the key to the sound being produced
I just could not get my head around it and found it very distracting and put me right off virtual instruments but this was about 2 years ago. things my have changed since then

Here`s a link to the one Andy referred to http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=24
and may be this would interest you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoMPn-f5oUY

But as Andy has said there are plenty free ones to try out for free to get a feel and see if its your bag

Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 23 Feb 2016 10:39

Hi

Aside from Hauptwerk and MidiTzer (which I use sometimes), there are a couple of other shareware options - Grande Orgue (similar in feel to Hauptwerk, and many instruments available including older HW sample sets) - see http://grandorgue.de/

The other option is jOrgan - see http://jorgan-home.de/mediawiki_en/index.php?title=Home There are many sample sets available for jOrgan.

I've tried Grande Orgue briefly, but for my current needs I have a programme called "My Organ" which works well without too much latency, but sadly is no longer available. I intend to explore Grande Orgue & jOrgan when I eventually find some spare time when health allows.

There are even sample sets of vintage electronic organs out there, if that's an area of interest. It seems to me though that these programmes major on classical & theatre organs (which is fine by me), however, I'd like to find a freeware simulagtor for the more recent"home entertainment" type organs (Yamaha, Wersi style etc.)

I currently run MidiTzer from my Nord C2D - simply a case of pluging MIDI cable in and setting the MIDI channels for each manual & pedals. Latency is a bit of a problem (I need to investigate settings when I have time) but is no worse than some pipe organs I've played using pneumatic or elecgtro-pneumatic action! It does show up like a sore thumb though if you play it layered with the native Nord sounds.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby andyg » 23 Feb 2016 18:03

Latency will always be a problem with Miditzer unless you can install a Creative Soundblaster soundcard that can load the Miditzer soundfonts into its own RAM. It then gives instant response.

For all the others, you need that ASIO capable soundcard or audio interface. Get a good one with good drivers and you should be able to get latency down to around 1/100 of a second or so. Without an ASIO card, you could try installing ASIO4ALL, which often gives good, low latency figures.

No-one's come up with a virtual Yamaha etc. There were a couple of home organ VSTi's. "The Nash" and "Rawgan". Interesting sounds, but representing the low quality late 60s/early 70s home organ, rather than the high quality ones we'd like.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
andyg
Super Poster

Postby papadeedee » 23 Feb 2016 19:39

Thank you for your input, I will investigate have a go at setting one up.
Brian
Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 24 Feb 2016 10:43

Thanks Andy. I'm running MidiTzer on an old laptop with an external fairly basic Soundblaster inf=terface - guess that won;t have the on board memory (and I'm not sure how to access stuff like that anyway). It will do most of what I want for now.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 01 Mar 2016 08:39

Hi Brian D.

I tried a free version of Kontakt Player and its amazing with no latency at all that I could detect and my laptops nothing spectacular. Its basically a sample player.
what to me looks like a good organ package ( depending on your taste is this one https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ge-organs/
and not out of the way prices wise at £89.00

Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby andyg » 01 Mar 2016 08:44

Let me know the model number of the Soundblaster interface and I'll find out if it can store the Soundfonts, and if it does, I'll try to give you a step by step set of instructions for loading them. Once loaded, they stay loaded!

Native's Vintage Organs is a good package and the sounds are superb, but it is all preset. If you want to push and pull the virtual drawbars yourself, then VB3 is the one you need. http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=24

Image .. Image
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 01 Mar 2016 10:43

Hi Andy

The interface I'm using currently is a Soundblaster model no. SB0270. It's a basic USB device with just stereo in & out on phonos, plus minijacks for headphones and microphone. If it will load soundfonts, perhaps you can pm me and I'll give you my e-mail address - that would be more convenient. Aside from anything else, I want to download the newer version of MidiTzer when I get time. I guess loading soundfonts won;t affect the devices ability to run Grande Orgue etc. sounds.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter