Is YouTube changing?

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Is YouTube changing?

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 Nov 2018 13:03

I have noticed that YouTube seems to be changing.

First, they talked about 'Streaming' .. a Paid For service. Isn't streaming what we do anyway when we listen to music?

And then Adverts. Well, we have always had those adverts, first to the side of the screen, then on the YouTube video itself that you want to watch. When they started doing this (at the beginning of a video), a SKIP box appeared after so many seconds of the advert so you could do just that. Then they had adverts that you couldn't 'skip' .. but they didn't go on for very long. And they said you can view with no adverts if you use their 'Paid For' service.

They seem now to be heading towards 'inserting' these adverts into the video clips after they have started. So far I have only encountered this on 'instructional' videos. Well, I suppose I can live with that as it doesn't really detract from the explanation I am trying to follow.

What next? The nail in the coffin will be if they put adverts up in the middle of a music track. That really would be the nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned.

Fingers crossed!

Anybody else noticed these goings on?

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Is YouTube changing?

Postby Brian007 » 30 Nov 2018 13:47

Hi Hugh.

YouTube has had adverts on some videos for a long time ( I use an ad blocker on my laptop ) and it very effective at stopping the ads,
This article 13 will effect YouTube dramatically in its current format as we have all been made aware of recently, the one saving factor is
that it will only apply to large Social Media sites like Facebook and YouTube and probably music streaming Sites like Soundcloud etc...

Not sure about Box as it's classed as a File Sharing site ? time will tell

But we may need to consider hosting our own videos and music on private servers that we pay for.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter