Corona Virus

Chat about whatever interests you .. but no politics or religion please!
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Corona Virus

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 Mar 2020 15:33

Not sure what to think about this Corona virus. I'm not too worried about catching it. I may be elderly (how old is elderly?), but don't have underlying health problems .. unless you count the numerous tablets I am on as a health problem.

What I am more worried about is the effect all this is going to have on our economy. Our Weston Organ & Keyboard Club met this last Thursday and there were only 35 people there (Member & Visitors). We usually have anything up to 100 present. Talking to the Chairman, she said (Chairperson?) that the Club couldn't survive if this carried on. And there were only about 40 the month before. Most of our Members are elderly, so maybe it's just the dark evenings and having to drive at night that is keeping them away. And our hall is not very warm as the central heating boiler has broken down (and can't be repaired) so we have had electric heaters in the room since January. And maybe they didn't fancy listening to Claire Greig on her Wersi organ, who was booked for the night. But I don't reckon it's any of these things.

I had to see an Osteopath on Friday (I think playing the pedals on the organ over the years has taken it's toll on my back .. which is why I use the Automatics now and play it like a keyboard) and got chatting to his Secretary. She was telling me about a trip she and her husband went on last year. Fly to New York, and then a Caribbean Cruise. They loved the cruise, and thought they would do that this year. But not now that the Corona virus is about. Didn't want to get stuck on a ship for months, in quarantine. So that's two passengers that someone has lost. She was also telling me about a friend of hers who had booked a flight to Italy next week. This was for a holiday to see the sights and look round the museums. But where she was going everything was closed down so there would be nothing for her to do. So she cancelled. Lost all her money as it was her that cancelled and not the airline.

Then yesterday evening (Saturday) I went to our local Chinese Restaurant. They have wonderful, tasty food. It's a Restaurant, not a take-away, so I order what I want from home and go down and pick it up. I was really shocked. It was a Saturday night and there were only six diners. He told me that his Restaurant had been like that this last couple of weeks. Unlike our Organ Club, he can't just pack it in. It's what he does. It's his living. Maybe it''s got something to do with the fact that it's a Chinese Restaurant. But I bet that they were all born in UK and have never been to China!

Just rabbiting on a bit.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Corona Virus

Postby Brian007 » 08 Mar 2020 15:56

Hi Hugh,

All this is very much unknown territory and I don`t think that anyone knows what will happen, there are certain to be losers and winners and so far the holiday and entertainment industries are in the firing line to be losers, if there are any winners it looks like to me cleaning company's but lets hope it doesn't get any worse but I have my doubts,

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 09 Mar 2020 00:04

Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 09 Mar 2020 08:26

Hi Fred,

Probably the best way to go Image

All the Best Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby PeterA » 12 Mar 2020 18:21

Don't do what I do, do what I tell you to do

Posted when world was trying to contain the Coronavirus outbreak from February 2020.

Peter
Organ: Yamaha AR80
PeterA
Active Poster

Postby PeterA » 12 Mar 2020 18:23

Peter
Organ: Yamaha AR80
PeterA
Active Poster

Return to Shooting The Breeze & General Chatter