Using a keyboard as a slave unit

Virtual Voices, Music & Music Apps

Using a keyboard as a slave unit

Postby ken horton » 18 Nov 2015 19:17

Readers may be horrified to know that I use a keyboard to supply the auto accompaniment for an organ but you can have the best of both worlds this way. Recently I connected a Technics KN7000 to an Orla GT9000DXL2 organ and got them to work together very well, however one phenomenon has popped up, with the keyboard's right 1 and right 2 and the Left voices all muted a piano voice joins in with anything you play on the organ's upper keyboard, turn off the keyboard completely and the piano stops. I seem to remember something like this happening once before when I used an orchestral module with another organ but can't remember if I found an answer after such a long time, I would be grateful for any information Ken
ken horton
Active Poster

Re: Using a keyboard as a slave unit

Postby Brian007 » 19 Nov 2015 07:46

Hi Ken,

Midi is a little like Black Magic to me but in my short foray into it and many wasted hours may I suggest find out which channel the piano is on and excluded it from the midi in on the organ or more or less the same stop the keyboard sending the piano channel to the organ ? that`s the best I can come up with. Brian007 :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 20 Nov 2015 20:25

Hi! Ken H
In MIDI there are 16 channels. Try get into the MIDI page first on the keyboard and turn off each channel in turn and turning previous off back on. Keep a careful record of what you do. That way you may find the culprit channel. If that does not work try same with Orla MIDI.
MIDI is a minefield matching different makes. Yamaha is particularly contrary.
Best of luck Ken S
Organ: Yamaha EL700
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 August (Joint Winner)
kens
Prolific Poster

Postby ken horton » 05 Dec 2015 12:41

Thanks to all for the replies , yes the answer was to find the correct midi channel and in the end I did it on the keyboard because the organ uses more than just the 1,2 & 3 channels to transmit but I could not find out how to control or identify the channel I wanted. But the keyboard has a midi page showing 16 parts, no names but the option of setting it on or off, by switching off each one in turn I found it (Part 5 ). Next time it had come back again which puzzled me but then I realized that I was using a different bank of voices in the organ this time so again by switching off the 'parts' in turn I found it again ( part 6) so I guess each bank of sounds ( through conductor buttons ) uses different channels. Far more involved than hooking up an expander.

So I took a chance and switched off the first 9 parts !, in my case this is no problem because I am not using any voices from the keyboard other than those produced in the automatic rhythm section and that is still working fine. I have no doubt that should I want to play the keyboard 'straight' I shall have to switch them all on again !

Readers may think this is a bit of an involved way of getting more rhythms but these things grow on you, I originally used expanders with a Yamaha EL organ and later an AR, Yamaha are not best known for their built in rhythms in these organs, in fact a bit abysmal , ( their keyboards are far better in my opinion ) but expanders have their shortfalls and I decided to buy a Technics KN7000 keyboard with much more to offer than an expander to help the Yamaha, then I changed the Yamaha for an Orla GT9000DXL2 organ with a far superior rhythm section so I really did not need the keyboard if being truthful but as it would be such a shame to waste it or lose money on re selling I decided to link it up to the Orla, and that's when all the troubles started !
ken horton
Active Poster

Return to Creating music with programming