Foot pedal for Tyros 5

The Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation.

Foot pedal for Tyros 5

Postby oldgra » 15 Feb 2019 14:58

Hi all, just joined this group, i have just bought a Tyros 5 and was wondering if you have to use dedicated Yamaha pedals, i plugged in a roland ev-5 pedal but can't get it to work. Any help would be much appreciated
oldgra

Re: Foot pedal for Tyros 5

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Feb 2019 15:32

Jon D .. you have a footpedal that you always use as an 'expression pedal' (gives all your playing that 'lively, dynamic' feel). Can you answer this for Graham?

Brian007 .. did you ever use a footpedal for your Tyros 5?

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 15 Feb 2019 15:44

Graham,

I use an FC4 to change registrations etc. and an FC7 for volume on my T4. I understand that if you use a non Yamaha pedal you might have to reverse the polarity. That is very simple to do. .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 15 Feb 2019 15:48

You must use the correct type of pedal for each operation whether they are Yamaha or another make. The switching inside is different. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby oldgra » 15 Feb 2019 17:29

many thanks for your quick replies Yamaha footpedals now on order
oldgra

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Feb 2019 23:29

Thanks Fred. It hadn't occurred to me that there would be different types of foot pedal for different functions. I suppose that's logical really. If you wanted a 'Piano Sustain' then you would want to put your foot hard down on it; if to Change Registrations you would want to kick to the left; if it was to have an 'Expression Pedal' (ie. Volume .. as JonD has) you would rock both 'down' and 'up' to facilitate the expression ... and so on.

On my AR Organ what I have is an 'Expression Pedal' (part of the organ) which is hinged under the heel for up and down movement; and it has a kick switch to the left for eg. Glide (amongst other things .. eg. Start/Stop the Rhythm); and to the right for Changing Registrations. The Piano Sustain is accomplished by a Knee Lever which drops down from underneath the Lower Manual, and you have to push that to the right with your knee to get the Sustain. Can't be doing with that after playing a real piano with a down/up sustain pedal for many years!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 16 Feb 2019 00:07

Hugh. .. My Rialto has an expression pedal with a kick switch on both sides. I use them for 'up' and 'down' on the registrations. The Technics GA1 I had some years ago also had a 'fold down' lever under the lower manual. I can't remember what it did as I never got used to it. .. Fred
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Jon D » 16 Feb 2019 09:57

Hi there Graham,
I cannot play any keyboard without a volume pedal I use the FC7 for this function and the FC4 for drum breaks and always use Yamaha pedals these two pedals are all that is needed you need to practice to get it right hope this helps. :shock: :shock:
As for Fred the fold down lever on the GA models when I played in the clubs was for sustain I never used it cheers my good friends. :D :D :D 8)

Jon D. :lol: :lol:
Hi there I have played from the age of 13 and all my music is played in a sort of dance tempo style. Have worked in nearly all the North East clubs over the years. That gave me a good grounding. Cheers.
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 April; November (Joint Winner)
2022 June; November
2023 January; August (Joint Winner)
Jon D
Prolific Poster

Return to Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation