Tyros 5 - What Can We Expect?

The Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation.

Tyros 5 - What Can We Expect?

Postby LeoP » 11 May 2013 14:42

Hello everyone

Yamaha Tyros 5 – What Can We Expect?

The Tyros 5 is (like Tyros 2, Tyros 3, and Tyros 4) one of the most anticipated instruments in the keyboard world. As Yamaha’s flagship arranger keyboard, every generation has featured the cutting edge of its technologies.

The accompaniment styles have always been several steps ahead of similar instruments, both in terms of quality and sheer range. Whether it’s a contemporary pop performance, or an epic soundtrack style piece, a polka or a samba, the Tyros has the styles. In terms of sounds too, the Tyros has always delivered Yamaha’s best, and that’s before we get onto the built in arranger and expandability.

What can we expect to find in the Tyros 5 when it arrives, then? If we look at previous models, could we get an idea of what it will include? It’s interesting to speculate, so here is a mini guide to what we may see a sort of ‘reality guided’ wish list…

Super Articulation.
The Tyros 5 seems likely to continue the evolution of the Super Articulation sound technology that was first introduced on the Tyros 2. This technology recreates the subtle articulations of acoustic instruments to massively increase realism. For example, a saxophone sound could recreate legato and slide effects, and added breath and key noises. Acoustic guitars added slides when keys were pressed hard, or emulated hammer-ons or pull-offs if notes were close to each other, complete with fretting noises.

The Tyros 5 will no-doubt continue this. The Tyros range has seen its arranger functionality expanded somewhat in recent models, making it a popular tool for composers. Perhaps we’ll see a heavily ‘Super Articulated’ orchestral section? Whatever there is, you can pretty much guarantee that it will be stunningly authentic.

Expanded Vocal Sounds.
One of the major additions to the Tyros 4 was a wide range of highly realistic vocal sounds, which may well be expanded in the Tyros 5. Some years ago, Yamaha began developing Vocaloid technology. In essence, this was a vocal synthesiser that could be programmed to sing words in pitch realistically. Yamaha has continued to develop this technology, the most recent update appearing only last year. Could we see this technology on the Tyros 5? Your own ‘Virtual Vocalist’?

Expanded Arranger and Hard Disk Recorder.
Given the scope of the sounds we’ve just given the Tyros 5, the 16-track arranger seems a little bit limited, particularly if you are to take advantage of all those new orchestral and vocal sounds… Maybe this could be 32-tracks, or even 64 tracks. Whilst we’re at it, the previous Tyros only offered an audio recorder capable of recording two tracks. If this was expanded to eight, you could record a whole band, or overdub backing vocals, guitars…

Yamaha has also recently released some very nice ‘Modelling’ based guitar amps (the THR range). Maybe they could include a guitar input and some of this technology to aid recording.

More Polyphony.
With all this power, and all these great sounds, we don’t want notes to start dropping out as the polyphony starts to drop out. Currently polyphony stands at an impressive 128 notes. Maybe we could expand this a bit?

Choice of Keyboard Sizes.
The Tyros has always been 61-key, but for many this is a bit limiting. Some would be more than willing to pay for a 76 note or even dual manual version. How about it, Yamaha?

More Ethnic and Arabic Sounds.
This is a feature that many users have wished for for some time. A section of properly articulated sounds for ethnic, folk and arabic styles, along with appropriate accompaniments and scaling, would please a great number of current Tyros users.

Seamless voice changover.
One of the bugbears of just about any keyboard is that, when switching sounds, they change jarringly from one to the other, without a natural decay. Including this, for seamless transitions, would vastly improve the realism of performances.

Of course, this is all speculation, and only time will tell.

What would you like to see in the Tyros 5?

LeoP
LeoP

Re: Tyros 5 - What Can We Expect?

Postby Wally Gator » 11 May 2013 16:57

There's not going to be a Tyros 5. Sorry! :cry:
Wally Gator
Mega Poster

Postby Abacus » 11 May 2013 18:29

The general information going around is that the next TOTL will be a totally new concept, not a continuation of what has gone before.

I have to say I certainly hope so, as the current Tyros is way past its sell by date, lacking many of the features that have been standard on Pro instruments for at least 6 or 7 years.

I am certainly looking forward to it though.

Bill
Abacus

Postby Eileen » 11 May 2013 23:03

I think we are all going to be in for a pleasant surprise with the new Flagship. We must wait until the Autumn.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Eileen » 27 Sep 2013 17:22

Well Folks,
Only a month to go before we all know what is on the new flag ship and how much it will cost. Surprised that so far there has been no mention anywhere of it.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby bluekiwi » 01 Oct 2013 20:36

Eileen.: Are you off to Spain any time soon. Must be due for a holiday! :wink:
bluekiwi

Postby jackoj » 02 Oct 2013 07:00

Hi All, My thoughts on the new version due from Yamaha would be that the 76 key option will become available along with touch screen and more in-depth control of all settings so that it will be more challenging towards its main challenger the Korg PA3X, in the home market there is no doubt that Yamaha is the leading product but Korg have been catching up. Looking forward like us all to see what arrives. ATB. jackoj. :o :o :o :o :) :)
Korg PA4X, Roland SL80
Image HAPPY PLAYING 2023
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 January (Joint Winner); February (Joint Winner)
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Eileen » 02 Oct 2013 14:15

Hi Jackoj,
We have not got long to wait now and I expect the rumours will be coming thick and fast but by the end of the month we will all know.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby andyg » 02 Oct 2013 16:47

Interestingly, Yamaha have registered a 'Tyros5-61' and a 'Tyros5-76' for electrical safety regulations in Canada. So, part of the secret seems to be out - unless they're spreading misinformation over there as well as over here. :)

Here's the link.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/temp ... sequence=1
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Craig » 02 Oct 2013 17:12

It was interesting to read that report Andy yesterday. Once the shop demonstrators who are going abroad to see the T5 later this month (20th I think the owner of the store I deal with told me) arrive back, I'm sure Yamaha will release something official, if not before.
All those in the know right now, will have signed a non disclosure agreement, so good things will come to those who wait :)
Craig

Postby Mike Bracchi » 02 Oct 2013 19:58

Hmmmmmm, that is very interesting Andy, I had been informed in the early summer by a very reliable source at Yamaha's Milton Keynes HQ that they were not going to be continuing the Tyros series, the T4 was going to be the last in the Tyros range .... however, there is no arguing with that document ... it is there - in black & white :)

Looking forward to seeing and hearing it soon :wink:

mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby andyg » 02 Oct 2013 20:08

I know what you mean. Obviously I know all the Yamaha guys and have spoken to almost all of them about the 'T5' in the past few months.

No way to tell anything about it from what they have told me, other than it's on the way, which we all knew anyway! Different people said different things. Called Tyros5? Yes and no. Touch Screen? Yes and no. 76 key version? yes and no!

All I got from the boss last time, and he really does know, was a big smile and 'We'll see!' Alas, with Keyboard Player being dead and buried, I no longer get to see the advance prototypes, as I did with T1 to T3.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Fred » 03 Oct 2013 10:13

Maybe what we need to do is to consider a "Windup" as the two Australian DJ's did some time ago. Maybe rind Paul Brooks or one of the MK Team and make some comment about delaying the keyboard for some technical problem and have they noticed the problem themselves. I could not do it myself as I would not be able to keep a straight face.

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Postby Eileen » 07 Oct 2013 22:29

You are right Andy,
They are keeping this one close to there chests with plenty of smiles going on and "I know nothing" Still not long to wait now.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby LeoP » 09 Oct 2013 08:34

As Eileen said, we haven't got long to wait now, sadly I haven't got any spare pennies in the budget for a new keyboard this year, will have to see what I can rummage up next year.
Thank you to all who joined in this discussion.
LeoP

Return to Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation