News concerning Expansion Manager

The Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation.

News concerning Expansion Manager

Postby MichaelW » 06 Dec 2013 16:02

Hi there,

Yamaha just published the update schedule for the expansion manager in the german yamaha forum.

The good new is there is a schedule.

The bad news is the waiting keeps going. Until Summer 2014 at least ...

Even worse might be, that there will be  "a conversion" necessary, what means some parameters are not fully compatible with Tyros5. And that means the concerned custom voices might (will) sound different.

click here for update schedule expansion manager

There is an official declaration of Yamaha in german language as well (google translation below):

Rellingen, 6.Dezember 2013

Offizielle Mitteilung von Yamaha Music Europe an Tyros Kunden:

"Mit dem Tyros5 haben die Yamaha-Ingenieure ein außerordentliches Arranger Workstation Entertainer Keyboard mit starken Funktionen und herausragender Soundqualität entwickelt.

Ein wichtiges Ziel bei der Entwicklung des Tyros5 war es, ein einfach zu nutzendes Instrument zu realisieren. Als Teil dieser Philosophie und basierend auf die Rückmeldungen vieler Tyros-Kunden wurde entschieden, den Voice Creator und umfassende Editierfunktionen in eine externe Software-Applikation zu verlagern. Diese wird die Erstellung eigener Voices sowie die Editierung und Zusammenstellung eigener Klang-Bibliotheken erheblich effektiver gestalten als bei den bisherigen Tyros-
Modellen möglich war. Auch in Hinblick auf das ständig wachsende Angebot an Premium Software eröffnet die neue externe Softwarelösung erhebliche Vorteile, um die Optionen des Tyros5 zukunftsgerecht zu gestalten.

Die externe Softwarelösung heißt Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) und wurde in der YEM Version 1.0 zusammen mit dem Tyros5 im November 2013 vorgestellt.
Die erste Version des Yamaha Expansion Managers ermöglicht den einfachen Transfer von Premium Pack Inhalten zum Instrument. Sie bietet erstmals auch die Möglichkeit, individuelle Pack-Inhalte wie einzelne Voices oder Styles zu transferieren, was eine effiziente Ausnutzung der Tyros-Speicherstruktur zulässt.

Kunden, die bereits Tyros3 oder Tyros4 Premium Packs gekauft haben, können diese kostenlos als optimierte Tyros5 Packs von Ihrem Downloadshop-Konto abholen und per Yamaha Expansion Manager im Tyros5 installieren. Die erste Version des YEM bietet auch begrenzte Funktionen zur Voice-Konvertierung. Die Ergebnisse der Konvertierung hängen sehr stark von der Struktur und Komplexität der jeweiligen Tyros4-Daten ab.

Yamaha wird die Funktionen des YEM in naher Zukunft weiterentwickeln, um optimierte Voice-Konvertierung und Editierfunktionen sicherzustellen.

Yamaha freut sich über die zahlreichen Kommentare und Wünsche zum Voice-Transfer von Tyros4 zu Tyros5 und bedankt sich für diese hilfreichen und unterstützenden Hinweise. Test-Voices diverser Drittanbieter, z.B. PEMO, W.O.K u.a. werden geprüft und der Yamaha Expansion Manager wird zur bestmöglichen Kompatibilität aktualisiert. Aufgrund der neuen zukunftsorientierten Voice-Struktur im Tyros5 kann eine 100-prozentige Konvertierung aller Tyros4 Custom Voices derzeit (Stand Dezember
2013) nicht realisiert werden. Voice-Libraries, die auf eigenen Wavedaten basieren und direkt am Tyros4 erstellt wurden, sind bereits konvertierbar. Custom Voices, die mit Hilfe des externen Voice Editors am PC erstellt wurden, sind aufgrund der besonderen Struktur derzeit noch nicht konvertierbar, werden jedoch mit Verfügbarkeit weiterer Versionen bis zum Sommer 2014 auch für den Tyros5 ladbar sein. Ein umfassender Voice Editor mit Import von Daten verschiedener Yamaha-Plattformen ist angestrebt.
Der aktuelle Entwicklungsplan* zu weiteren YEM-Versionen: (*Änderungen vorbehalten)
Version Geplante Fertigstellung Funktionen

V1.01 Dezember 2013 Optimierter Custom Voice Import und Konvertierung

V1.10 Februar 2014 Support für MacOS
V2.00 Mai 2014 Umfassende Voice Edit Funktionen, Erstellung eigener Voices auf Basis von eigenen Samples

V2.10 Juli 2014 Custom Voice Konvertierung von Tyros4 Preset Voices, die
Tyros4 Preset Samples verwenden

Mit der Einführung des Yamaha Expansion Manager-Konzeptes möchte Yamaha neue Wege zur Nutzungdes Tyros5 aufzeigen. Kreative Soundgestaltung und effiziente Datenverwaltung werden einfacher, intuitiver und flexibler. Auch Software-Drittanbieter werden ihre individuellen Angebote effizienter erstellen und anbieten können. Yamaha lädt Sie herzlich ein, die Vision einer faszinierenden und flexiblen Zukunft mit Tyros5 zu teilen."

Google Translation:

"Rellingen, December 6, 2013

Official Notice of Yamaha Music Europe to Tyros customers :

With the Tyros5 the Yamaha engineers have an extraordinary Arranger Workstation Keyboard Entertainer developed with powerful features and outstanding sound quality.

An important goal in the development of Tyros5 was to implement an easy to use instrument. As part of this philosophy , and based on the feedback from many customers Tyros was decided to shift the Voice Creator and comprehensive editing in an external software application. This will make creating your own voices as well as the editing and compilation of your own sound libraries significantly more effective than with previous Tyros -
Models was possible. Also with regard to the ever-growing range of premium software opens the new external software solution considerable advantages in order to make the options of Tyros5 future needs.

The external software solution is the Yamaha Expansion Manager ( YEM ) and was presented in the YEM version 1.0 together with the Tyros5 in November 2013.
The first version of the Yamaha Expansion Manager allows easy transfer of premium content pack from the instrument. It also offers the opportunity to transfer individual pack contents as individual voices or styles , which allows an efficient utilization of the Tyros - memory structure for the first time .

Customers who have already purchased Tyros3 or Tyros4 Premium Packs , they can charge as optimized Tyros5 packs pick up from your download shop account and install manager in Tyros5 by Yamaha expansion. The first version of YEM also offers limited features for voice conversion. The results of the conversion are strongly dependent on the structure and complexity of the Tyros4 data.

Yamaha will continue to develop the capabilities of YEM in the near future to ensure optimized voice conversion and editing functions.

Yamaha is pleased with the many comments and requests for voice transfer from Tyros4 to Tyros5 and thanks for these helpful and supportive evidence . Test Voices of various third-party , such as Pemo , W.O.K et al be tested and the Yamaha Expansion Manager is updated to best compatibility. Due to the new future-oriented voice structure in Tyros5 a 100 percent conversion of all Tyros4 Custom Voices can currently (as of December
2013) will not be realized . Voice libraries, which are based on own data and Wave were created directly on the Tyros4 have been convertible. Custom voices that were created using the external Voice Editor on the PC , due to the particular structure is not yet convertible, however, will be loaded for the Tyros5 with availability of additional versions until the summer of 2014. A comprehensive Voice Editor with import of data from various Yamaha platforms is sought.
The current development plan * to further YEM versions : ( * subject to change )
Version Planned completion functions

V1.01 December 2013 Optimized Custom Voice import and conversion

V1.10 February 2014 Support for MacOS
V2.00 May 2014 Comprehensive Voice Edit features , create your own voices on the basis of own samples

V2.10 July 2014 Custom Voice conversion of Tyros4 Preset Voices
Using Tyros4 Preset Samples

With the introduction of the Yamaha Expansion Manager concept Yamaha wants new ways to Nutzungdes Tyros5 . Creative Sound design and efficient data management easier , more intuitive and flexible. Also, third-party software providers can create and provide their individual services more effectively . Yamaha cordially invites you to share the vision of a fascinating and flexible future with Tyros5 ."

Edith says: The expansion manager v1.01 is said to be released until the end of next week.
Best regards - Michael

I'm playing on a Yamaha Genos2 with a Viscount Legend (Hammond) Expander and on a Roland V-Accordion.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 November (Joint Winner)
MichaelW
Active Poster

Re: News concerning Expansion Manager

Postby Fred » 06 Dec 2013 17:34

Hi Michael

Many thanks for the update.
Mixed emotions for us all. I suppose we have no option but to wait.

Maybe we should all complain and hope they get the message and as a token gesture, they might give us all a free Premium Pack.

Not holding my breath though.

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Postby Craig » 06 Dec 2013 20:34

Thanks for the update Michael.
Waiting wasn't an option for me. Mine went back and I don't miss the Tyros 5 at all (it didn't impress me). The shop has already sold it to someone else and I purchased a Tyros 4 again. I'm back in happy land :)
Free premium pack Fred would be a good gesture from Yamaha and also a free flash board to go with it, since one without the other is no good :lol:
Craig

Postby Fred » 06 Dec 2013 20:54

Hi Craig

Yes a free Exp. module would be great - only trouble is there is only room for one in the keyboard.

They might stretch to an additional 20% offer for two more days in the year.

Fred
Fred
Active Poster

Postby Eileen » 08 Dec 2013 13:25

I myself I very happy with my Tyros 5. And with so many new sounds and styles to try I will not even think about additional voices until I have been through what we have. Organ world is a great addition and will take care of those lovely theatre voices some of us love. The ensemble can be altered voice wise to suit and is very effective.
Yamaha are working hard on getting the extra programmes working so that all voices we have bought from third party suppliers will work correctly. I think we will see an update for this quite soon. Mean while just sit and enjoy playing your keyboard.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Eileen » 15 Dec 2013 23:30

The new update for Expansion Manager is out now and all third party styles now work fine and convert as they should. You will find it on the Yamaha site under Tyros 5 downloads.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Return to Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation