Tyros 5

The Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation.

Tyros 5

Postby gerso » 28 Jan 2014 22:09

I tried out the Ty5 on Saturday, and apart from some changes I don't think it's worth splashing out
the kind of money they want for it. Organ world is not really for me. The DSP is great on guitars, but I
already have amp simulators. In my opinion they should have put out an update for Ty4 even at a small
charge. But of course it's all about maintaining their revenue stream. I don't want to sound too critical
because it is a lovely keyboard, great for those who have older machines and would like to upgrade.
But for Ty4 owners there's not a huge change. I'm sure some would disagree with me. I found there
were quite a few gimmicks to make it sound more attractive. This is due to some tweaking of the voices.
Even part exchanging my Ty4 wouldn't encourage an upgrade this time around. Maybe on the Ty6.
Despite my criticism i'm still a fan of Yamaha keyboards. I'll get off my soapbox now.

All the best. Gerry. 8) :)
gerso

Re: Tyros 5

Postby jackoj » 29 Jan 2014 11:13

Hi Gerry,
I think what you have said is an opinion I share with you, I have played the T5 at a friend`s house and would never be able to justify paying the extra cash difference to obtain one, so its a no no for me. The T4 has all I need and as I have it in TRX, the whole top 61 key`s is available for voices and the NP30 below has 76 key`s so that beats the T5-76 on that score, but as you say Gerry the T5 is a fine keyboard and we all have choices, so each to his own. ATB. jackoj. :) :) :D
Korg PA4X, Roland SL80
Image HAPPY PLAYING 2023
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 January (Joint Winner); February (Joint Winner)
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Eileen » 24 Feb 2014 00:22

I went from the Tyros 4 to the 5 and I immediately noticed the higher quality of sound even through the MS05 speakers. The styles sound much better and we have a new DSP system which is great on the guitars as well as many other voices. I am more than pleased with mine.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby jackoj » 24 Feb 2014 12:37

Hi Eileen,
I think what you are saying about the T5 is perfectly true for you, and I have read quite a few posts on the subject from others, I tweak a lot of the sounds I have on the T4 and find them every bit as satisfying as on the two T5`s I have tried, having said that, having more time with the T5 and setting it up myself could probably change my mind on the matter but for now I am happy Eileen, I just had a bit chuckle to myself as I thought I have five keyboards in the house and only one pair of ageing hands and not to good on the ivories to start with and not likely to improve, I`ll stop the way I am for as long as I can :lol: :lol: :lol: and be :D :D :D All the best Eileen. jackoj. :) :) :) :D
Korg PA4X, Roland SL80
Image HAPPY PLAYING 2023
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 January (Joint Winner); February (Joint Winner)
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Eileen » 23 Mar 2014 14:23

Hi Jackoj,
Yes we are all different in what we want from keyboards. I am always up for the new challenge they bring and the new functions.
I am pleased to see that now people are settling to this keyboard they are enjoying it and that is what it is all about.
There is a new update out for the YEM 1.10 which is now compressing the third party voices so giving us a little more room to load our own packs in.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Return to Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation