Hidden Gems

The Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation.

Hidden Gems

Postby andyg » 28 Mar 2014 11:15

I've already said how much I like Organ World, and that you can produce some wonderful 'old school' electronic organ sounds, not just the almost inevitable Hammond Jazz and Pop sounds and the Klaus Wunderlich Wersi emulations.

Well, I was just idling my way around T5 today when, while showing a student some of the Hammond type presets, went a page too far.... Guess what I found that no-one from Yamaha seems to have told us about?

Yamaha have not only given us the Lowrey organ flute sounds in Organ World, but they've put all the other Lowrey organ sounds in as well! Things like Trombone, Cello, Clarinet and Cornet amongst others. These don't sound like natural instruments, they're not meant to. They sound just like the voices on the 1960s Lowreys like the Heritage and Holiday. They even get swirled around by the same Leslie sim as the flute voices. A bit of mixing soon brought up very convincing sounds reminiscent of the early Alan Haven or Jerry Allen. Set the footswitch to Glide and the Harmony to Trio and the illusion is complete.

But there's more. These sounds are 'raw', no tremolo or vibrato built into them. Is it possible, I wondered, to do the old tricks we had to do back in those days. Piano - you didn't have one, so you used Trombone and added sustain. Hawaiian Guitar - Clarinet plus sustain, vibrato and glide pedal. Harpsichord - Cello and sustain. Yes, it does ALL of these old sounds.

And being pretty raw sounds, you can edit them to make more. Scope here for recreating the Thomas, Baldwin and Conn organs of yore, I think. And you'll be able to add them to the Theatre Organ presets as well!

Add these sounds to those that I've already created (not knowing that the 'originals' were there) and Organ World has the potential to become Organ Heaven. I'll be producing some 'Old School' sounds and registrations for sale if there's enough of a market for them.

Let me know if you'd like them and I'll get really cracking.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Re: Hidden Gems

Postby Mike Bracchi » 10 Apr 2014 22:03

I'll be producing some 'Old School' sounds and registrations for sale if there's enough of a market for them.

Let me know if you'd like them and I'll get really cracking.

Hi Andy,

Go for it ... you have got the know how and the contacts to surely make a success of it :D

A range of packs with the popular sounds from Lowrey, Thomas, Conn and Baldwin would be an instant hit - I don't have a Tyros, but if I did ... I would certainly be a customer :wink:

I look forward to hearing them in due course.

All the best ...

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Re: Hidden Gems

Postby VAL7JEAN » 12 Apr 2014 11:39

Yes please - I would like a pack of Andrew's Organ World.
VAL7JEAN

Return to Yamaha Tyros 5 Workstation