There Goes My First Love - Drifters - 1975 No 3 UK Hit

Post your Instrumental performances on this board.

There Goes My First Love - Drifters - 1975 No 3 UK Hit

Postby Brian007 » 09 Feb 2018 11:53

Hi ALL,

Here`s another one from way back when, by an American group, nice catchy melody line, found the chords on the internet and picked the melody out by ear. Recorded in one go with a couple of extra tracks added for the Contra Melody.

Brian007 :D :D
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Re: There Goes My First Love - Drifters - 1975 No 3 UK Hit

Postby JohnT » 09 Feb 2018 13:24

Hi Brian Good use of the multi tracking. A good beat and had me singing along. Enjoyed the video. The loft music room working well. John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Feb 2018 02:33

Hi Brian,

At least the chords for this piece are fairly straightforward. And picking out a tune 'by ear' is a real talent to have. Even if you had got the melody from the music score, you would find that the song isn't quite the same as what you are listening to. There are always notes that are 'off the beat' and syncopated phrases that don't show quite like that in the sheet music. Take Frank Sinatra. He never sings a song 'straight'. But by listening you can pick up all these 'nuances' and replicate them in your music.

And then, of course, there are all those little 'counter melodies' that you have put in. Although you can no doubt hear them when listening to the original recording, they are never in the written music. Picking these out 'by ear' and putting them into your piece is a real talent to have.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Feb 2018 08:45

Hi John,

Thank you kindly young man for having a listen and commenting, and pleased you enjoyed it, have a good weekend.

Brian007 :D :D
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 10 Feb 2018 08:56

Hi Hugh,

I have come to the conclusion that sheet music isn't the be all and end all of everything, well at least for me, as being a slow sight reader I could never play a song straight off a sheet of music, but there are other things I find about sheet music that are strange like

I found the music for a song the other day and it was in a key with 3 sharps ? fine go to Riffstation listen to the song live and it puts the chords up
as being in the key of C ? Why the difference ? probably cause its easier to play live ( talking pop music here ) I always try and end using the same key as the original recording.

And as you say unless you get the full score it never gives you the full intro - instrumental breaks and endings ? and finally I find it very hard to locate sheet music for a lot of the stuff I play.

So playing by ear if you can is a good back up and I am using it more and more, but it does depend on just how complicated the piece is

Thanks for listening and sharing your thoughts, Brian007
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Feb 2018 23:54

Brian,

Going back to your video, I like how you've chosen video clips to suit the mood of the song. All those hearts ... but what a sad story!

Then further on you have a couple of pictures 'superimposed one on the other'. It's very impressive to be able to do that. Don't think I can do anything like that with my Windows Movie Maker, so I presume you have used Sony Vegas again.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 11 Feb 2018 10:50

Hi Hugh,

Yes used Sony Vegas 14 for that one, like I said what looks impressive is very easy , to do it in Sony Vegas its just like adding tracks in Audacity and then altering the level of each video track till you get the right balance of all three video tracks.

Movie Maker is much quicker to work with, but I lost my original copy when my other laptop died , and am having to use a 2012 version which is not as good as my previous version so hence the move to Vegas.

Sony Vegas make simple things hard and hard things easy, a good program but for me its more a case of necessity than choice, The ideal solution is to do the special effects stuff in Sony and the other stuff in Movie Maker but that just gets more and more time consuming, especially as its more about the music.

Brian007
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Instrumental Performances