Rose of Tralee

Post your Instrumental performances on this board.

Rose of Tralee

Postby jackoj » 04 Jul 2018 07:38

Hi All,
Thought it was time made a contribution so hear is a little song played on my PA4x Korg i have acquired this last week, meant to be an easy listen and hope some will like it. ATB. jackoj. :) :) :)

https://app.box.com/s/s4qmi4on6p7vcv33fkto4woj12a5fgeq

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Re: Rose of Tralee

Postby Brian007 » 04 Jul 2018 08:16

Hi Jacko,

That was very nice, I liked it, the piano sure sounded good and the style was a good choice, I though you had sold your Korg ? or is this the same one or another one ? Some good voices on the Korgs and they have come a long way of late,

All the best, Brian007
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 04 Jul 2018 08:37

Hi Brian,
What i have now is only this new Korg PA4X, in this last nine months or so i have sold Yamaha CVP709, Tyros5, NP30, and a Korg PA700, now having so many problems with arthritis i decided to clear most of my gear as i have been unable to do them justice. I am quite pleased with my new toy, its just a matter of getting to know it and keeping an interest in my music. I have to say i did enjoy my time with the PA700 as agree with your sentiments of it. CUL. ATB. jackoj. :) :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Jon D » 04 Jul 2018 08:55

Hello there Jacko,
That sounded very nice you I can hear you can find your way around this fine keyboard I enjoyed listening well played and voiced my good friend. :D :D :D
Jon D. 8) 8) 8)
Hi there I have played from the age of 13 and all my music is played in a sort of dance tempo style.Have worked in nearly all the North East clubs over the years that give me a good grounding cheers.
Jon D
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 04 Jul 2018 09:58

John. Not sure Rose of Tralee is the correct title but that PA4x certainly sounds nice. No indication of arthritis in those elderly fingers of yours. .. Fred
Roland BK-7m. Tyros4 LOWREY RIALTO
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 04 Jul 2018 13:15

Hi Jacko,

Well you certainly have had a clear out , but you know what they say a change is as good as a rest, pleased your enjoying the Korg PAX4, they look and sound a great keyboard.

All the best, Brian007
ImageImageImage
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Jul 2018 17:26

Hi Jacko,

Glad to see you back posting. Now that you have that lovely new Korg keyboard I'm sure you won't be able to keep away from it!

You certainly haven't lost your touch. Those fingers of yours were moving up and down that piano at the rate of knots. Love those 'trills'. Better than I could have done .. and I haven't got arthritis like you (just a little bit, depending on the weather I think). Really enjoyed your playing of that delightful piece. I always like to listen to the piano. It was the piano that got me interested in music in the first place .. listening to people like Charlie Kunz, Winifred Atwell and Russ Conway. It was the sound of the piano that got me hooked.

Now then, Jacko. Fred (dragon) has said he didn't think this was called 'The Rose Of Tralee'. Is that what was written on the sheet music? Knowing you, you wouldn't have had any music up anyway. All I do know is that it is an Irish song, and it has three beats in a bar. What you have played has four beats in a bar. So either you have 'adjusted' the original song to 'fit' four beats in a bar, or ... it is a completely different song.

Just below is Rose of Tralee, the Irish song with it's three beats in a bar:

I have a friend who plays for Line Dancing (Kathryn Holly). She usually knows the title of any song I play to her over the phone. So will test her knowledge and play your song to her. She's out at the moment at a children's party at her church, but she will contact me when she gets back.

Does any other Member have any views on this?

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby DonW » 04 Jul 2018 21:13

Hi Jackoj
Very nice restful sound nicely played.
The correct title is "Smiling Through" .
A great organist friend of mine Dudley Savage
used it for many years as his signature tune for his
radio program "As Prescribed".
Regards Don.
DonW
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Jul 2018 23:35

Thanks Don. Kathryn did ring me about it and said that the tune jackoj played was definitely not Rose of Tralee. But she hadn't heard the tune before and didn't know what it was called. So now we know.

So who was Dudley Savage? He was a BBC organist and broadcaster who for many years broadcast a hospital request programme from the Royal (ABC) cinema in Plymouth. He played the Compton Theatre Organ, amongst others. Below is an interview with him talking to Rick Wakeman. Smiling Through is mentioned at 7:11.

.. and below is a YouTube clip of him playing war time marches on the A.B.C. Plymouth Compton organ.

There are several other videos of him playing on YouTube (of not very good quality). Wouldn't know if he is playing his Signature Tune 'Smiling Through' on any of them.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 05 Jul 2018 08:22

Hi Guys - I would like to thank you all for your interest and reply`s to my posting which has shown some dispute of what the title is to the name of my piece, well if i may, let me try and clarify by giving you the story, briefly, of how i did it. (pleased you all seemed to like it.) :D

This is my first posting from the Korg PA4X, it is a lovely and beautiful to play, memory played, 4/4 timing ballad style,set up my choice of voices then sat down recorded MP3 in one go. The Rose Of Tralee is what i remembered and i believe Smiling Through is very very like it. i checked out YouTube and listened to John McCormack singing Rose of Tralee then Vera Lynn singing Smiling Through and they sounded like the same song with different lyrics and delivery. now my arthritis problems are paining thumbs of the hand, and just received yesterday that my knee replacement will be carried out on the 2nd of August, so after that i hope to be more like playing. I hope this long winded breakdown helps and thanks again for all your comments. ATB guys :D :D jackoj. :) :) :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 06 Jul 2018 15:39

Hi Jacko Just back from four days of golf at Chorley. Very hot. Really enjoyed my listen with a nice soft piano. I think we are all getting older with more aches and pains. One of our new members brings hers to the club it is very nice with good sounds and styles. Nothing like a good clean out. Keep in touch. All the best John
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 06 Jul 2018 18:16

Hi JohnT,
Thanks for your kind comments mate, doesn't time fly by,seems ages since we were in contact,hope you and the family are all keeping well,i often wonder how Nick is, the only one i have heard from has been John D who also has just recovered from a stressful time,but i will try and keep in touch so take care and regards to all the club members. ATB. jackoj. :D :) :) :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby George » 06 Jul 2018 19:05

Hi, John(Old Chap),

Well that's a lovely arrangement from your new korg key Board a nice number liked the piano and well played as always More Please.

George.
G Turner
George
Prolific Poster

Postby jackoj » 07 Jul 2018 10:59

HI George,
Thanks for reply mate will try and give you some more earache later :lol: hopefully not. ATB. jackoj. :D :) :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby Eileen » 07 Jul 2018 12:45

Hi Jackoj,
A lovely listen to Smiling Through :wink: Pleased you have now got a date for your knee.
Eileen

Genos, S970 and Stagepass 300
Yamaha Keyboard Players Forum
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby jackoj » 07 Jul 2018 15:35

Thanks Eileen for your Smiling Through preference to my post, much appreciated, hope your W.A. went well and your in good fettle for the night`s party. ATB. jackoj. :) :) :) :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Postby VAL7JEAN » 07 Jul 2018 16:09

Nice to reflect on Dudley Savage again.
SMILING THROUGH
VAL7JEAN
Active Poster

Postby jackoj » 08 Jul 2018 09:04

Hi Val,
Thanks for reply and pleased it brought back an old memory.ATB. jackoj. :) :) :) :)

Image HAPPY PLAYING 2018
jackoj
Prolific Poster

Return to Instrumental Performances