Recording

Anything to do with Audio recording, look in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Recording

Postby KRUG » 14 Nov 2014 10:27

I am not sure where this topic should go but this seems as good a place as any.

I have four instruments with stereo line outputs - Roland AT800 organ, Korg PA900 keyboard, Roland Fantom XR sampler and Roland BK7M. What I want to be able to do is to plug all of these instruments into a mixer at the same time so that I can mix and record to the computer. I currently have a small LD LAX5 mixer which has two stereo inputs and one microphone input which is fine for two instruments. There are multi channel mixers but they tend to have two stereo inputs and more mono microphone/line inputs e.g. Yamaha MG102C.

Does anyone know if there is any reason why I should not stick one jack plug (say left channel) into one mono input and the other jack (right channel) into another input. Presumably if the volumes are equalised the output should be the same as having used one stereo channel.

Has anybody done this or found another solution to the problem. All suggestions appreciated before I splash the cash.

Keith
KRUG

Re: Recording

Postby Brian007 » 14 Nov 2014 13:20

Hi Keith,

Maybe not a solution but a little bit info,
The line out level on the PA900`s is quite low and would not overload a mic. input
as you probably already know the Left line out is the mono one, so if your planning
to use only one use the left one

Brian
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby andyg » 14 Nov 2014 13:30

There are a few mixers designed specifically for this. Here's one that would fit the bill perfectly.

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/57-4921_RDL-EZ-MX4L-MIXER-4x-stereo-in-1x-stereo-out-AC-adapter

And if you check the specs of some of the 8 to 12 channel mixers, some of them will have a trim pot on each channel that will let you use them for anything from mike to line level.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby KRUG » 14 Nov 2014 15:47

Thanks for the help Andy. I have just ordered the recommended equipment and hope to have it up and running by the end of next week.
KRUG

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 15 Nov 2014 09:09

Hi

Aside from level matching, there's no reason not to use 2 Mono channels for a stereo source - just pan hard left/right as appropriate (or set the pans to separate instruments in the sereo field if you prefer). I've not seen any reasonably priced mixers recently with more than 2 stereo channels - at least not until you get to the stuff with large channel counts.

I have a Soundcraft Spirit mixer that has 4 mono mic/line channels and a further 12 stereo line levels - but sadly, that's been discontinued (and mine has blown its power supply - again!). I also had a now 20 year old Fostex keyboard mixer/cassette deck. That uses knobs rather than faders - it has 2 mic/line inuts and 10 more mono inputs which I use in pairs for stereo instruments - but that limits me to 5 - and there's little in the way of other facilities on it. It mainly gets used for live performance when I take a bunch of keyboards out.

In the absence of anything with multiple stereo channels (they are available - for broadcast use and at distinctly "pro" prices and with facilities that I'd never use), I'd go for a Beringher/Yamaha/Allen & Heath basic mixer with around 10-12 channels. I've not had cause to look recently, but at one time you could get clips to gang 2 faders together so you can adjust a stereo source across 2 mono channels easily.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Return to Audio Recording