Converting floppy disks to MP3 format

Anything to do with Audio recording, look in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Converting floppy disks to MP3 format

Postby ken horton » 23 Jan 2016 16:35

I have several tunes recorded floppy disks using a Yamaha AR organ, I no longer have this organ and find the floppies will not play as they are on my later organ an Orla GT9000 DXL2 or in the computer. I understand Yamaha use a data format to record onto the floppy which has at least two files for each tune, I wondered if is possible to convert the contents of these floppies to MP3 format so they can be played on a computer, and if so how is it done please. Ken
ken horton
Active Poster

Re: Converting floppy disks to MP3 format

Postby allthumbs » 29 Jan 2016 11:58

Hi Ken,
Just picked up on your post. Sadly not possible to convert to mp3 on computer. As you say Yamaha songs have 2 files, one is .b00 the other .evt. The first has all the registration and sound changes the second is a midi file which only contains note data. If you change .evt to .mid it will play on computer and maybe the orla but everything will default to the same voice, usually piano. The Yamaha discs like all midi files only contain instructions telling the instrument what to do to replicate your performance. They don't contain any music. The reason they are saved as two files is so that you can recall the registrations for use in other songs. You will find that the Orla does not reset registrations if you insert one of your song discs recorded on it.

The only way is to get your songs to mp3 is if someone lets you use their ARxx to play your discs and record them to an mp3 recorder direct or to tape recorder for transfer to your computer with Audacity or a similar program to convert to an mp3.

Regards and good luck with your quest.

Alan
allthumbs

Return to Audio Recording