Extend a Midi.

General discussions about Yamaha keyboards

Extend a Midi.

Postby clare » 11 Aug 2015 10:33

Hi

I have a Midi song that is too short. Can you extend it ? but without it becoming a WAV,and saving it as a Midi please.

Thank you

Clare
clare

Re: Extend a Midi.

Postby andyg » 11 Aug 2015 17:09

You can probably do this using the on board Song Recorder, but it will be something of a pain. It's something that I've not tried, nor would I bother to try!

The easiest solution would be to use a software MIDI editor app. If you're talking simply making it longer by adding an identical verse or two, then you can snip the bits you want to repeat, then use copy and paste to extend the song. The exact procedure would depend on the app.

If no-one else comes up with a solution, there is a very good Yamaha-specific forum. Eileen (who's a member here and knows more about this sort of thing than Yamaha probably do!) runs it, and I'm sure she may well be along in a while.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 12 Aug 2015 06:36

Andy`s solution sounds about the best if you have the software to do it.
depending on the keyboard your using you could create a series of Markers and have the tune follow the markers that way you may be able to have the midi repeat itself
must be honest never tried this method but if you can use markers may be a simpler method.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby clare » 13 Aug 2015 10:07

Many Thanks to you both for your help.

I have the Tyrs 4.... Yes, I have tried the markers and cant seem to get them to light up I think you have to pass the first two and then press twice quickly,
but havent succeeded. I have tried and succeeded through a Midi Editor Software, but...it then becomes a Wav and not a Midi. I wanted to play this as a Midi
through another keyboard, that only has Midi and no Audio.
Kind Regards for replying.

Clare
clare

Postby Eileen » 15 Aug 2015 14:11

Hi Claire,
I have just tried this out. Start your song playing and when you get to the part you want to repeat hit button 1 twice quickly.
I let my intro play and then set the marker. I then resaved my midi. On loading it the saved song button one is lit red. When you get to the part of the song you want to go back to the marker press button one and it will return to where you set it. You have to be a little careful that you set it to the first beat of a bar to get a clean change. You can set all four markers to return to parts of the song the same way.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby clare » 18 Aug 2015 04:15

Hi Eileen

I got as far as saving the midi with the markers, and as you rightly said the Red buttons lit up on replaying.
but the song remained the same, never thought to press No 1, it looks as though you have solved the problem of
"How To", and I agree you have to be quick and accurate, Thank you for taking the time it is much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Clare
clare

Postby Brian007 » 18 Aug 2015 06:46

This is a great piece of news Clare, something I must add to my list of things to try out

Brian007 :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby andyg » 18 Aug 2015 17:00

Clare, if you've tried extending a MIDI file using software and it's converted it to a WAV, then you've used it incorrectly, or you're using the wrong software. MIDI should stay as MIDI, as without a virtual instrument sound source you can't produce a wav file, even if you wanted to. You need a MIDI Editor, or a sequencer (also known as a DAW) that incorporates a MIDI Editor. What did you use?

The free stuff you can find on line is a bit hit and miss, but if you're going to do a lot of this, then there are entry level versions of quality software like Cubase at decent proces. Cubase Elements 8 (latest version) is £73, for example. As always, there's a bit of a learning curve, but you can always ask here, or on the forum for your chose software.

The solutions offered clearly work - I told you Eileen would know! - but they seem to involve rather more button pushing on playback than I'd like, and the MIDI file won't then be 'transportable' onto another instrument.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Return to Yamaha Chit Chat