New Yamaha EL Organ (ELB-02)

General discussions about Yamaha keyboards

New Yamaha EL Organ (ELB-02)

Postby Mike Bracchi » 12 May 2016 08:09

Being exported (grey market) to European destinations for around 2000 Euros ....
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Re: New Yamaha EL Organ (ELB-02)

Postby tomtomsf » 12 May 2016 23:09

That's cool. Loved the number he played. I'm guessing he used a MIDI backing? :)

Surely, it must cost more than 2000 euros since that;s only about $2000. That price seems way too low. :?

Tom G.
Tyros 4
tomtomsf
Active Poster

Postby JohnT » 13 May 2016 10:41

Hi Mike A nice listen. Looks a good one. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby ken horton » 08 Jul 2019 19:00

Has anyone written a review and compared it with earlier El models ? I had several, 70, 90, & 900, and the only complaint I had was that they never changed the rhythm section one jot, the same very basic unit through the whole range. In my opinion had they upgraded them they would have been on a winner, those early models had so much going for themselves the pitiful rhythm section was a disgrace, I was always seeking extra backing units and always wondered why didn't Yamaha put their best keyboard innards into an organ body ?
This at first glance looks like an El with a little bit less on the deck which at the price stated is understandable but I thought the organ market has almost collapsed, is this a revival I wonder.
ken horton
Active Poster

Postby dragon » 08 Jul 2019 22:56

Marry that up with a Roland Bk7-m and you would have a formidable instrument at a reasonable cost. .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby dragon » 08 Jul 2019 23:01

Some of the information available. .. Fred

Upper
Lower
Lead
Pedal
Number of Voices
Organ Flutes
Setting
Volume
Effects
Types
Reverb
Chorus
Brilliance
Delay
Distortion
Distortion Plus
Amp Simulator
Dynamic
Early/Karaoke
EQ/Enhancer
Flanger
Miscellaneous
Phaser
Pitch Change
Rotary Speaker
Tremolo / Auto Pan
Wah
Functions
Pan
Slide
Sustain
Touch Vibrato
User Vibrato
To Lower
Solo
Lead Priority
Feet
Rhythm
Preset
Control
Select Button
Number of Rhythm
Number of Variation
Fingering
Other Functions
Keyboard Percussion
Custom
Number of User Rhythm
Rhythm Edit
Setting
Volume
Functions
Registration
Number of Preset Registration
Number of Buttons
Control
Overall Controls
Master Volume
Transpose
Tuning
MIDI Setting
Miscellaneous
MDR
Audio Recording/Playback
Storage and Connectivity
Storage
External Drives
Connectivity
Headphones
MIDI
AUX IN
AUX OUT
USB TO DEVICE
USB TO HOST
Amplifiers and Speakers
Amplifiers
Speakers
Accessories
Included Accessories
Bench
Others

ELB-02

ELB-02
Color/Finish
Cabinet
Color
White
Size/Weight
Dimensions
Width
1113mm
Height
924mm (with music rest 1103mm)
Depth
493mm (with music rest 509mm)
Weight
Weight
50kg
Control Interface
Keyboard
Type
Basic (FSB)
Upper Keyboard
Number of Keys
Range
C - C
Initial Touch
Yes
After Touch
Yes
Lower Keyboard
Number of Keys
Range
C - C
Initial Touch
Yes
After Touch
Yes
Pedal Keyboard
Number of Keys
Range
C - G
Pedal
Type
Expression Pedal
Foot Switch
Function
Left: Rhythm: Stop, Break, Main A – D, Intro 1 – 3, Ending 1 – 3 Glide: Upper 1, 2, Lead 1, 2, Lower 1, 2, Glide Time Rotary Speaker/ Right: Registration Shift
Display
Size
Full Dot LCD (128 x 64 dots), Monochrome
Contrast
Yes
Voices
Tone Generation
Tone Generating Technology
AWM
Preset
Upper
Voice Section: 2,Voice Button: STRINGS, BRASS, WOODWIND, TUTTI, PAD, SYNTH, PIANO, ORGAN,PERCUSSION, GUITAR, CHOIR, WORLD, USER 1 - 2 * Upper Keyboard Voice 1 & 2 could be set by [VOICE SECTION 2] button on the panel.
Lower
Voice Section: 2, Voice Button: STRINGS, BRASS, WOODWIND, TUTTI, PAD, SYNTH, PIANO, ORGAN,PERCUSSION, GUITAR, CHOIR, WORLD, USER 1 - 2 * Lower Keyboard Voice 1 & 2 could be set by [VOICE SECTION 2] button on the panel.
Lead
Voice Section: 2, Voice Button: VIOLIN, SYNTH, FLUTE, TRUMPET, USER 1, TO LOWER (Lead 1), SOLO (Lead 2) * Lead Voice 1 & 2 could be set by [VOICE SECTION 2] button on the panel.
Pedal
Voice Section: 2, Voice Button: CONTRABASS, ELEC. BASS, TIMPANI, SYNTH BASS, USER 1, TO LOWER * Pedal Voice 1 & 2 could be set by [VOICE SECTION 2] button on the panel.
Number of Voices
540 (AWM)
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby ken horton » 09 Jul 2019 08:43

Just a comment as I am sure many will know more of the history than I but I strayed away from the EL range some years ago only because of the poor auto accompaniment ( only my opinion ) but having had a few different makes since then I still find the EL had some excellent features others could do well to copy, but the change in makes resulted in me getting out of touch with the latest Yamaha organs on the market. Recently I purchased a Ringway RS 1000e, the European model of the Chinese original modified by Orla organs, what struck me when looking at the ELB and the RS is in appearance that they are remarkably alike, as both seem to originate in Singapore I would not be surprised if they were both made in the same factory !

The Ringway has now gone, mainly because it had an annoying design built in feature of resetting to the factory default every time you shut down and you had to save everything and load up again or re set every little detail you preferred, no switching off and the on start up carrying on from where you left off ! And this could not be altered, a surprising thing to build into an organ I thought.
ken horton
Active Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 09 Jul 2019 12:33

There is no connection between the two .... Ringway organs are a product of Ringway Tech (Jiangsu) Co. Ltd, a Chinese company - as you rightly say the organs have been 'doctored' (orla connection) to best suit the 'european ear'. The Yamaha EL range along with every other organ series from Yamaha are 100% Japanese with no collaboration with others.

The ELB-02 most certainly had an updated 'auto' section with Tyros 3 technology ... the product was released in 2015 whereas the EL-70 and EL-90 was 1986 and 1988 respectively ... the EL-900 was much later than 70 & 90 but a good 10 or 11 years before the ELB-02.

Ringway organs first appeared around 2010 with the RS400 ... in my opinion it didn't really need any interference from Orla ... all they succeeded in doing was 'doubling' the price overnight.

Here a super demo of the original Chinese RS400 (RS400EU was the Orla modified version) .... enjoy :wink:

Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Postby Mike Bracchi » 09 Jul 2019 12:41

Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Postby ken horton » 09 Jul 2019 15:22

Thanks Mike, that is a stunning performance. Ken
ken horton
Active Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 09 Jul 2019 15:26

My pleasure Ken, pleased you enjoyed it ... don't give up on organs ... they are still lots of fun, especially the vintage ones :wink:

Mike
Mike Bracchi
Mike Bracchi

Postby ken horton » 10 Jul 2019 10:55

Hi Mike, I was not going to post this information because it reveals my present day inability to take things in and learn the way i used to.
I had EL's for ages as I said but finally got a Ringway RS 1000e, great machine but you really have to master it fully to appreciate it and the complexities are endless. On top of that for some inexplicable reason I bought a Yamaha Genos keyboard as I thought it would be easier to handle, well to some maybe but I had one issue, the group descriptions of the styles left a lot to be desired in my opinion, take ballad, a simple style but scattered over about 15 style groups, so not easy to find one to suit your particular tune in a hurry. and that seemed to apply to quite a few styles without their own individual group but scattered.
When in any particular group the individual descriptions don't always suggest just what instruments are comprised in the make up, I know with time we all learn but with two unfamiliar instruments I left myself in an unhappy state, all my own fault. You can't have feet in both camps and expect to master anything.
So I am trading in both units and getting a Roland AT9000C ! at least with a much simplified touch screen for selecting presets I should be able to sit down and play without too much fuss . As you urge I won't give up the organ regards Ken
ken horton
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jul 2019 12:36

Ken,

Peter Slack (Peter S) had a Roland, and got rid of it because ... when using STYLES (which he did all the time ie. he didn't play the organ 'as an organ') he found that although he could alter the volume of the Rhythm and the overall volume of the Style separately (to get a 'balance' between them), he couldn't switch ON/OFF any of the STYLE PARTS (so had to have them all going together), and couldn't alter the volume of any of the individual PARTS, even on screen. So all those very annoying 'parts' that keep coming in every few bars, he couldn't turn them down, or turn them OFF.

Maybe you can switch parts OFF, but he hadn't worked out how to do it?

So as I know you use STYLES for playing, check this one out .. and let me know how to switch 'parts' OFF so I can post something in the Roland section.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby ken horton » 10 Jul 2019 14:17

Hi Hugh, Yes I will look into that, but the organ does not arrive for another 10 days ! It does surprise me if the individual parts can't be switch off or muted, but I have one secret weapon, I usually do not use the built in organ accompaniments but my separate Technics keyboard, but I will report back. Ken
ken horton
Active Poster

Postby andyg » 10 Jul 2019 22:03

It was surprising that the ability to rebalance or mute style parts was not part of the AT90 series from start to finish with the SL. In fact, I think it was only at the end of the 900/800 series, when the Platinum was released, that the function was included.

It obviously wasn't on their list of priorities, which lends weight to the argument that they were aiming the organs at organists, rather than organ players - there's a difference. That said, even organists like me do appreciate the ability to tweak things! If I want auto-accompaniment, which is only occasionally, I can connect up to my Yamaha PSR-S970 and drive its styles from the lower manual.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Return to Yamaha Chit Chat