Hints for when browsing the TDP Forum

General discussions about Yamaha keyboards

Moderator: andyg

Hints for when browsing the TDP Forum

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Jan 2018 18:10

Most of us have mobile phones/iPads/tablets. On these devices, whenever you want to leave what you are looking at there is a 'button' you can press that will take you straight back to the screen you see when you switch the device ON. You can then, from this 'home' page, move on to something else.

You can do something similar with the Forum. Wherever you are, when you are done with what you are looking at/posting, click on Board index. This can be found at the top of the screen, or scroll down to the very bottom and you will see Board index there too. This will take you back to the Index page and you can navigate to somewhere else from there.

Hugh
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Hints for when browsing the TDP Forum

Postby Hugh-AR » 16 Jan 2018 21:03

I was wanting to listen again to Ajay's Sleighride, but couldn't find it anywhere in the Christmas 2017 list. But I knew he had had posted it! Took me a while to realise that there was a Page 2. And there it was, all on it's own. If there had been one more entry my Away In A Manger would have joined it.

Moral of this story: When viewing posts/topics always check to see if there is a Page 2.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 18 Jan 2018 22:56

When you see a LINK in a post, if you left-click it you will leave the page you are viewing and be taken to the LINK page. This is a pain as you no longer have access to the topic you were viewing. And to get back to the page you were viewing you have to click the 'back button', top left of screen.

So instead, do a right-click and choose Open link in new tab (left-click that option). This will put the new topic in a tab at the top of the screen without taking you away from the page you are viewing. You then click on this Tab at the top to view the new topic .. and can go to the page you were originally viewing by clicking on that tab at the top. Toggle between the two to switch from one to the other.

This is particularly important when LINKing to MUSIC, as then, once you have started the music going, you can switch back to read the comments on the music, and even put a comment by clicking on POSTREPLY at the bottom whilst still listening to the music. I have tried to remember to put a comment above each music LINK to remind you to do this.

I have Rev Tony Newnham to thank for putting me right on this one.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Feb 2018 23:44

When you visit the Home Page, look at the icons to the left. A red ring (O) round an icon indicates that there are posts in that Board that you haven't yet read. Trouble is, there will be loads of posts you haven't yet read, particularly if you have just joined the Forum! You will probably get round to reading most of them over a period of time, or at any rate glancing at them briefly, but what about what is going on now, and the new posts that are going up? Best get rid of those red rings right now and when the red rings next appear they will be a good indicator of the 'here and now'.

Go to a Board, eg. the Instrumental Performances Board, and look above the list of topics, on the right. You will see Mark topics read. Click on these words. Bang! Red rings gone. Then the next time anybody adds a comment to a post it will indicate that this has happened by a red ring on the left. So clicking on that topic will keep you up to date with what is going on now. Incidentally, if you haven't noticed this before, when anybody 'Replies' to a topic, it shoots that topic up to the top of the list.

Now go to another Board, eg. Classical Corner. Again, click on those words Mark topics read. Again, red rings gone so you will know when you visit the Home Page when anything new is posted.

Repeat with all the other Boards that you want to mark as "read".

NB. I have just noticed that there is a "Mark forums read" top right of the Home Page, so if you did want to carry out the above for all the Boards, that is the quickest way to do it. Click on that.

Hugh

PS. If you are a 'Guest' or a 'Visitor', you won't see any red rings on the left. If you are not a Registered Member the 'system' can't tell if you have visited these posts before or not. It doesn't know who you are! So if you are enjoying browsing this Forum as a 'Guest', why not join? You can be a lot more organised with browsing topics if you are a Member. And, of course, have access to all the Boards .. and post Replies, or start New Topics.
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Feb 2018 16:24

None of us are experts at everything, and I have learnt something today. Those 'red circles' I have referred to above only appear on 'New Posts' since the date you joined. All the posts you have not read prior to when you joined have a 'blue' ring. Thanks TerryR for pointing this out to me.

When I first joined TDP I didn't really look at much for about a year, so of course when I did eventually spend some time on the site I had loads of 'red rings' showing .. all those posts that were put up over that year since I had joined. And I couldn't understand why some posts I knew I hadn't looked at had a blue ring.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Feb 2018 19:22

When you visit the Home Page you will see these statements at the top of the page:

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics

I would not recommend that you click on any of these in order to view the Forum. For starters, this is a Forum, not a page of FAQ .. frequently asked questions, with the answers .. for some website or product. Mosts posts in our Forum are 'informative' so it's not surprising if these posts are not replied to. Unread and New Posts might look an attractive way to go as these will be the latest contributions to the Forum. But seriously, if you go this way you will miss out on so much else that may be of interest to you. The whole point of a Forum is that it is organised into 'compartments' (Boards) covering so many aspects of our hobby. If you look at the top of the Home Page we call ourselves the Keyboard Music Forum.

So when you visit, glance at some of the other topics that may interest you, and not just the most recent contributions. And the most recent ones will show up anyway as 'red rings' on the left, as described above.

Happy surfing!

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 07 Mar 2018 10:52

Boards and Topics

When you visit a Board, the 'Default' is for the latest topic activity to show at the top. Then as new topics are posted the older ones get pushed further and further down the list .. and eventually are pushed over to Page 2 etc. The topics with a 'light bulb' on the left are called 'Stickies' and they stay at the top all the time. Don't want these to be relegated to Page 2! And of course, if you 'Reply' to a post in a Topic which is on eg. Page 2 it will immediately shoot back up to the top of Page 1 as the topic is 'active' again.

But when you read a Topic the reverse happens. and the 'Default' is for the latest post to show at the bottom. This is sensible really as a topic is a discussion about something and you will want to remind yourself of what was being discussed before you read the 'Reply' that has been put up. So if you click on a topic with a 'red ring' on the left (the red ring tells you there is something new since you last visited) you will see the original post at the top. You will then have to scroll down to the bottom to read the latest comment (and you can glance at all the other comments as you pass to see what else was said).

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 May 2018 10:10

When you are browsing through a long list of posts you may wish to shoot up to the first post to see what was said at the beginning; or to the last post to see the latest comment. If you press the Home on your keypad, that will take you to the first post; and End will take you to the last. You can then click on Board Index, which is both at the top and the bottom, to get back to the Home Page of the Forum.

Out of interest, if you are typing something in a posting box (or typing something in WORD) and wish to get to the very beginning of your document, you can hold down the Ctrl (Control key) and press the Home. To get back to the very end of the document, hold down the Ctrl and press End. Pressing Home or End without the Ctrl will just take you to the beginning or end of the line you are typing.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 16 May 2018 19:55

When you see all those Board Logos on the Home Page which ones do you go for? Maybe the Performance Board so you can listen to recordings Members have put up? OK, but it can be fun just to have a nose about and see what else is in this Forum.

Just to mention a few .. do a right-click to open any of these up in a New Tab :

Nothing serious ...

What's In The Name ... Tierce-de-Picardie?
viewtopic.php?f=152&t=111
What are the three pedals for on a grand piano?
viewtopic.php?f=323&t=6354&p=40527#p40527

Something a bit more technical ...

Stereo .. how do we hear in stereo?
viewtopic.php?f=322&t=5171
Using AUDACITY for recording
viewtopic.php?f=200&t=6076
Videos for uploading to YouTube - Windows Movie Maker
viewtopic.php?f=343&t=5446

Music Theory ...

Repeats in Music Scores
viewtopic.php?f=322&t=6278

Something lighthearted ...

Fun and Puzzles
viewforum.php?f=316

Go on! Browse some of the other topics. But don't set out to do it all in one go. You'd never take it all in!

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 22 Jun 2018 22:59

So ...

What do you see on the left when you visit the Forum? A whole load of red rings?

O

O

O

These are indicators telling you there is something in that Board that you haven't yet looked at.
(Sorry, only Members will see this. If you are a 'Guest', how will the system know whether or not you have looked at it?)

When you take the next step and click on one of these Boards, another load of red rings.

O

O

O

These are either Topics that you haven't yet read; or, if you have already looked at the topic, there is a New Post in that Topic that you haven't yet read. So go to that Topic, scroll down and read it.

Now what is so good about this Forum is that the "red rings" on a Board will still be showing until you have read all the Topics in that Board. In some other Forums, the 'Red Marker' on the Board disappears as soon as you click on the Board (ie. the system is telling you, "You have looked at this Board now"). Not good enough! I would want to know when I have looked at every Topic in that Board.

That is why I say this Forum is brilliant at telling you what you have / have not looked at.

And another thing about those 'Markers'. If you see a Red Star in the circle (*) it means you have posted a 'Reply' in that Topic. So you then know at a glance which topics you have commented on, and which you haven't.

Lastly, although not particularly significant, if you see 'lines' rising up inside the circle .. it means this Topic has had 9 or more Replies. As I said, not particularly significant.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Jul 2018 01:02

You will have noticed that Brian and I have re-organised the Forum and created several new Boards. In particular, the Boards in the Music Room.
The reason for this is twofold.

1. If you want to find and listen to a particular genre of music, then a dedicated Board will make it easier to find. If I wanted to listen to a vocal, and it was way down somewhere in the Instrumentals Board, how would I find something? Looking at the Subject Lines in Instrumentals how would you even know if any were vocals?

2. When you want to Post some music, don't forget to look at the Categories, and if yours fits one of them then please post it in that Board. You may have to make a choice, as if eg. you have played an Instrumental called Patricia (a girl's name), do you post it in the Theme Board or the Instrumental Board? Your choice.

Below are quick LINKS to check out any of these Boards. Click on the Green underlined headings to go there.

Do a right-click to open them up in a New Tab.

Instrumental Performances
'Instrumental Performances' by Members on their organs/keyboards.

Vocal Performances
The Title says it all. Vocal Performances by Members.

Classical Corner
This is where to put any "Classical" pieces you have played..

Own Compositions
Interesting to say the least. How may of you have composed your own song? And how did you go about it? Please post in here.

Themes
These are all the "Themes" from the old 'Challenge Board'. If you have a song that fits one of these 'Themes' then go ahead and put it up. Your Post will appear at the end of the Topic so you may have to go to eg. the bottom of Page 3 to find it.

New Challenges
In this section, 'Challenges' will be set monthly. Find the Challenge Month, click on POSTREPLY, enter the name of the song in the Subject line, and submit a piece according to the challenge set, either a new recording you have done, or one you recorded previously.

It is permitted to post something that appears elsewhere in the Forum.
And it is also quite OK to post a song somebody else has already posted. We all play differently and it is always interesting to see how somebody else has tackled the same piece.

Your contribution will appear on its own dedicated page, and Members will be able to post comments as 'Replies'. The previous 'Challenge Board' didn't work like this as posts were all on a 'Timeline' and it was difficult to post a comment.

At the end of the Challenge period (1 month) you will have the opportunity to vote for the one you liked best. (Administrators may enter the Challenge, but are not allowed to Vote. The winning entry will be decided by the Members.)

We hope that when you visit the Forum you will visit all these Boards and listen to the music that has been put up. Not just the Instrumental Performances!

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Jul 2018 08:36

When you visit a Topic you may find that the discussion is quite lengthy (the longer a discussion goes on the longer the topic gets!). Remember that you can always jump to the start of the topic by pressing Home on your keypad; and to the end of the topic by pressing End on your keypad.

Hugh
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Yamaha Chit Chat