Have you ever seen anything like this before?

This board is for music videos that you have really enjoyed watching. Post anything you come across in here.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Have you ever seen anything like this before?

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Jan 2018 10:44

I've got this from PeterA. Just fascinating! Never seen anything like this before! An organ with 'black' keys; a grand piano with pedals; and a couple of really big organs with 'stops' to pull out. The video has four 'parts' (each with a different instrument), and they are all well worth watching.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Have you ever seen anything like this before?

Postby Brian007 » 28 Jan 2018 12:12

Hi Hugh,

He`s certainly giving rock all on that video, the interesting thing is how young he is
so hopefully a bit of new blood coming through

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Mike Bracchi » 28 Jan 2018 12:56

Hmmmmm, Carpenter is technically very clever, but sadly his arrangements are all too often crude and vulgar with very little going for them ... he is the organ world's Nigel Kennedy, hopefully one day he'll mature as a concert organist, like Kennedy did with his 'fiddle' ... but at the moment he makes me cringe with his tasteless disposition of some of the worlds finest music ... feeling underwhelmed with this CC video .. like always, he seems to forget it's about the music ... not showmanship!
Mike Bracchi
Vintage Organ Group (Facebook)
Mike Bracchi

Postby dragon » 28 Jan 2018 13:37

I thought the piano sounded awful. It would be nice to hear it played by another artist. The organs were really impressive instruments. .. Fred
Keyboard: Korg EK50 Ringway600
dragon
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 28 Jan 2018 18:37

Mike ...

I was looking at the organs/piano he was playing. Particularly the piano. I had no idea there was even such a thing as a piano with pedals! As for the musical content, one of the comments on YouTube just about sums it up.
1st version is so so muddy in the pedals, lay back on the stops. 2nd, just no no no, he's hacking like anything! 3rd version, little to no musicality, he's just chopping notes way too short (lets not forget about the plain awful stops), something funny with some rhythms too. 4th version, is actually okay.

The pedal piano (or pedalier piano) is a kind of piano that includes a pedalboard. There are two types of pedal piano: the pedal board may be an integral part of the instrument, using the same strings and mechanism as the manual keyboard, like this one:

or, less frequently, it may consist of two independent pianos (each with its separate mechanics and strings) which are placed one above the other, a regular piano played by the hands and a bass-register piano played by the feet.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart owned a fortepiano with independent pedals, built for him in 1785. (Was there no limit to this man’s talent?) Robert Schumann had an upright pedal piano; his pedal keyboard had 29 notes.

In the 21st century, pedal pianos are made in the Borgato workshop in Italy. The bass pedalboard has 37 notes (rather than the standard 30 or 32 on most full organs).
Here is a picture of two Steinway grand pianos, with one set up as a pedal board.

Fred ...

For you, here is a much better clip of a pedalier piano being played.

Gounod: Concerto for piano-pédalier and orchestra (1889), I movement - Allegro

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Music Videos Member's Choice