Nice Demo from Namm

The new Yamaha Genos 'top of the range' Workstation.

Nice Demo from Namm

Postby Eileen » 08 Mar 2018 11:37

Hi folks
Thought this may be of interest to some

Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner)
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Re: Nice Demo from Namm

Postby Brian007 » 08 Mar 2018 12:34

Hi Eileen,

A good video showcasing the Genos, thanks for posting it.

Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Westgarth » 08 Mar 2018 19:31

Thanks Eileen

It's a fantastic keyboard if you can afford it. I think it would take the rest of my life to explore all it's features.
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Mar 2018 12:26

Eileen,

Thanks for posting that. At last, a DEMO showing what the Genos is really about.

Don't give up on it after listening to the first part of the Demo. I nearly did. I wasn't too impressed with the song he played at the beginning (not my cup of tea). And as for playing chords with two fingers? Well, that's two fingers from me. But then he gets into the real technological differences in this keyboard.

First, the nine inch colour touch screen to access all the features. So much better than pressing buttons 'next to the screen' for something you want.

Then there's the nine 'faders' that can control different things. You can control the 'balance' between the various PARTS of a STYLE (Rhythm 1, Rhythm 2, Bass, Chord 1, Chord 2, Pad, Phrase 1 and Phrase 2). That's 8 faders. Perhaps someone can tell me what the ninth one is?

I'm sure that when we play something we all make sure there is a proper 'balance' between the Style and the voices we are using for the melody, but how often do we take note of the balance between the various 'parts' in a Style? A repeating piano too loud? Or not loud enough? I can make adjustments to the balance of the Style Parts on my AR, but have to do it on screen in advance, and SAVE to a USER slot. How convenient to be able to do this 'live', in real time.

And then, for organists, those nine 'faders' can become DRAWBARS for the various flute footages. 16', 8' etc. The complete range is shown below.

And then there's the 'rotating speaker' effect (Tremolo / Leslie). On my AR I have FAST, or SLOW (or none at all). On my AR I can alter the rotating speed on screen, in advance, and SAVE it. But again, on the Genos you can alter that speed in 'real time'.

Then, for the Classical player, as explained later in the demonstration, you can get different strings sounding depending on where you play them on the keyboard. This innovation is called Kino Strings (German, meaning Movie Theatre). And if you choose Ensemble Mode, if you play one note, you get a violin. If you play two notes together you get 1st and 2nd violins, panned hard left and right. If you play three or more notes together, then added to the 1st and 2nd violins you get viola, cello, contrabass sitting in the middle (I think you would need two hands to play that lot, but then I did say 'Classical'). How amazing is that? To play notes together and have different voices for each note, and 'panned' differently. This feature is on both the Tyros 5 and on the Genos.

Then there's an Articulation button that modifies how eg. the mouth organ sounds when played.

You can tell that I am impressed. But like Steve, I think it would take the rest of my life to explore all it's features.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Eileen » 09 Mar 2018 15:01

If you already play Yamaha you will be surprised how quickly you get used to it and it is beautiful just to play with many of the one touch play settings, as many of the styles have much better balance to them now. If you get a chance to try one have a go.
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 April
Eileen
Super Poster

Postby Westgarth » 09 Mar 2018 17:24

Lend us your Genos, I promise I'll give you it back! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby Eileen » 14 Mar 2018 13:13

Well I would but it is a little to far to bring it :wink:
Eileen

Genos2 SX900 and
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 April