Yamaha PSR S770

Use this forum for information relating to any PSR Keyboard
thru' to S & SX Series of Instruments.

Yamaha PSR S770

Postby Westgarth » 30 Jan 2018 20:35

Since it's a while since I've been on it seems only right I should mention my "new" keyboard. I got rid of my Tyros as I was getting fed up of the same old, same old. In fact I was going off playing the keyboard altogether. I traded for a Roland KR-107. Wonderful instrument but I couldn't get the hang of a proper weighted keyboard.

I'm now using a Yamaha PSR S770 and it suits me in every way. Light to move around, doesn't take up much room and the usual easy to operate Yamaha system. Great section of voices, quite a number of super articulation (but they do nothing for me anyway). It uses a different type of rubber button but you sharp get used to them.

All the features are fantastic and lots of things I've not tried yet like the live controllers. I just wish Yamaha would add some better organ voices. I know you can make them yourself but my musical ear isn't up to it. I already have a massive collection of styles to play with but the on board ones are excellent. All the Tyros ones I have work on this.

The bits I like are the new music player and the new guitar input. You can play a normal MP3 file and mute the vocal track. It's not 100% but enough to play a melody line on top of a backing track.

I can also plug my guitars in and play against backing tracks of any song as long as it's mp3. I have a couple of hundred albums stored on an external hard disk which I connect by USB. I now use the PSR as a music system. It's brilliant.

One thing hasn't changed. Unless you use a Tyros, the Yamaha keyboads are rubbish. May consider using a controller keyboard but no rush yet. Still got lots to play with.
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Re: Yamaha PSR S770

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Feb 2018 01:36

Steve,

I have looked at some of the Demos of this keyboard on YouTube and they are just trying to be too clever by far! Most of them are playing music that I wouldn't even want to listen to, let alone play! But I have found this video which is more to the point. I can relate to this music.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 01 Feb 2018 08:30

Hi Steve,

Funny, I was in Windows at the Metrocentre on Monday gone and looked at a Yamaha 770 looked a nice Keyboard but that's as far as it went

I too like you parted company with my Tyros and moved to one of the new Korgs, a Korg Pa700, and while its not a Tyros it does everything I need it to do and plenty more too. It too has a guitar input option which can do some clever stuff, but my real goal is to start and make more music on my Ipad and garageband

So all in all like most things in life, the keyboard or whatever is only as good as the person playing / operating it, and its up to us to motivated and get the most out off the great instruments and make the most of amazing technology that's so readily available to us today

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 01 Feb 2018 10:37

Steve,

You say:
You can play a normal MP3 file and mute the vocal track. It's not 100% but enough to play a melody line on top of a backing track.

Any way of making music appeals to me, and this sounds like a fun way of playing something. Can't do what your Yamaha 770 can do and play MP3 on my Yamaha AR 80 organ, but I am toying with the idea of doing this another way. I could start with a 'Karaoke' track downloaded from the internet, as that wouldn't have any melody line in it. Then, as I have a LINE IN on my AR, I could play the track through that from an external MP3 player .. and then play along with it as I am listening to it. The LINE OUT of my AR would go to record to Audacity on my Laptop in the normal way I do it.

If you do play something on your Yamaha 770 in the way you have described above, can you put it here for us to listen to and see what it sounds like?

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 01 Feb 2018 12:13

Hi Hugh

Sounds an interesting project, and would like to hear the results

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Westgarth » 01 Feb 2018 19:55

By coincidence it was AC Hamiltons who I purchased the Roland piano from. They gave great service but weren't interested in taking it back as a trade in on the Yamaha.

I considered the Korg but was afraid of making the same mistake as I did trading the Tyros for the Roland system. I played safe and went for the Yamaha. I've also got thousands of style, song and midi files for the organ.

I know exactly what you mean about the demo music Hugh. Most would put you off for life. I use very little of the technology on the keyboard, only about 10 voices and 10 styles. I use the drawbars a lot but the other things will come in handy when I'm bored. Most important to me is the plain piano.

I've used the karaoke tracks before but finding really good quality tracks is difficult and also the time it takes to find them. MP3's are all over the place and easily available. I only use them for the guitar and use them as backing tracks. I can plug a cd player into my amplifier and mix the track with the lead but I can't remove the lead such as the vocals or whatever solo instrument is used. With this system I can mute Hank Marvin's lead track and use the Shadows as my own backing. Wish we had this 40 years ago!

You'll wait a hell of a long time to hear my offerings. I could go upstairs and play a song straight through with no problems but once I hit that Record button everything goes out of the window. I've only posted one song a couple of years back and poor Mike nearly had a heart attack. I'll see what I can do when I get a bit of time. I appreciate your comments.
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 02 Feb 2018 00:56

Steve,

Some advice for you when recording. Don't stop the recording! Just stop, start again and see how far you get next time. If you make another mistake, start again. Still don't stop the recording. Depending on how much 'time' you have on your recording device, you may end up doing a 4min recording over a period of half an hour. And then ...

I think we forget sometimes that we can always DELETE the bits in a recording that we don't want. Even when using a Camcorder and recording 'live', the same principle applies. Yes, go over to the camcorder and switch it on, then meander back to the organ, take your time making sure that everything is set up as you want it. But don't include all this in the final video you put up!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Westgarth » 02 Feb 2018 06:52

Reminds me of a line in that Nemo film Hugh, the Orange Stripy Fish, "...keep on swimming, keep on swimming, keep on swimming, keep on swimming..." ha ha
Regards, Steve
Westgarth
Active Poster

Postby Brian007 » 04 Feb 2018 09:50

Hi Steve,

You mentioned about a midi controller keyboard. When I sold my Tyros , which I sold privately to a local user, I was not going to buy another arranger
but just get a mid controller Keyboard, which I did. I started to use it with my Ipad and believe me there are some fantastic voices available for the
ipad. Then I bought the Korg, but fully intended to make more use of the midi keyboard and Ipad in the future.

Briaan007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Yamaha PSR Keyboards