Joining two pieces of music together

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

Joining two pieces of music together

Postby steveclarke » 03 Sep 2016 16:21

Hello everyone

I've been away from music for YONKS - now I'm coming back into it and I'd like to ask for some advice.

I've got loads of sheet music - what I'd like to do is take two pieces of music in different keys and join them together to make a bit of a medley.

I understand that you need to identify a 'pivot chord', which I think is a chord that is common to both keys, but I'm a bit hazy as to what to do next.

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve
steveclarke

Re: Joining two pieces of music together

Postby papadeedee » 03 Sep 2016 18:37

Hello Steve,
There are all different levels of players on here and different ways to modulate. I find that the simplest way of changing key is to play the dominant seventh chord of the key
I am changing into. eg, moving from C to G play a D7 and move into G
I have made a short video moving round the circle of fifths, I hope this helps. :)

Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 04 Sep 2016 07:26

Hi

I tend to keep modulations as simple as possible. As the previous post says, you need to aim for the dominant 7th of the target key (The chord on the 5th note of the scale, e.g. G7 if the piece is on C). Depending what key the first piece is in, you may need to run through a couple of other chords to get there - I work out what chord has at least one note in common with the preceeding one and find the shortest route. There are published sets of modulations between various keys, but they always seem too flowery and "clever" for my taste.

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby steveclarke » 05 Sep 2016 06:28

Thank you very much gentlemen for your kind replies.
steveclarke

Return to Playing Technique