Classical Corner - Comments

Any recordings you have done that could be described as Classical, please post in here.
Includes pieces one would only loosely call 'Classical' as they depart somewhat from what the composer intended.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Classical Corner - Comments

Postby Hugh-AR » 07 Jul 2018 13:44

This section is for anything remotely 'Classical'. Either classical in title, or classical in nature. This could include a piece played in 'classical style' that you would not regard as a classical piece; or a classical piece which has a classical 'Title' but is not played in 'classical style' (eg. played with drums). Remember Louis Clark with his 'Hooked On Classics' concept and the English Pops Orchestra? This is what I am on about here.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Classical Corner - Comments

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Jul 2020 17:00

I have been talking to Don Wherly (DonW) and he was saying to me that of course if some of these 'Classical' composers had been around today they would have made use of all the present day musical experiences in their compositions. I'm sure he's right, as they were musicians first and foremost and would have incorporated anything available into their music.

Don has given me the name of a 'jazz' pianist, Jacques Loussier who played 'classical' pieces with his Trio like this. It runs for 1hr 24mins so leave yourself plenty of time to listen!

After visiting the YouTube site, click the back-arrow at the top to get back to this page.

Jacques Loussier Trio - "Play Bach" (1989)

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Rev Tony Newnham » 05 Jul 2020 08:08

Hi

I remember this player from way back - never bought any recordings of him (or many other people either) but heard him many times on TV & radio & enjoyed his interpretations of Bach. The Swingle Singers were another line up who reinterpreted Bach (not to mention Walter/Wendy Carlos).

Bach is one of the few composers whose music withstands playing on almost anything and still sounds good - except, IMHO, Bach Harpsichord works played on a modern grand piano!

Every Blessing

Tony
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 July (Joint Winner)
Rev Tony Newnham
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 10 Apr 2022 17:22

I have come across a Tyros 5 player called Del B who plays in a 'classical' way using Freeplay Styles.
Here are a couple of pieces played by him. Shows that you really can play classical pieces on a keyboard!

Ave Maria Bach/Gounod.

Intermezzo - Cavalleria Rusticana

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Classical Corner