Orpheus

Any recordings you have done that could be described as Classical, please post in here.
Includes pieces one would only loosely call 'Classical' as they depart somewhat from what the composer intended.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Orpheus

Postby kens » 19 Apr 2021 15:43

Hi!
Thought it time we had a bit of classical. This piece was composed in 1858 by Offenbach. Its still popular
" Orpheus in the Underworld " Ken S

https://app.box.com/s/phqz2bprt8qd79mr8y6f9f0y17d736xw
Organ: Yamaha EL700
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 August (Joint Winner)
kens
Prolific Poster

Re: Orpheus

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 Apr 2021 10:33

Hi Ken,

I am not really 'into' classical music, but I have enjoyed this one. I think what I like about it is you have the freedom to play it as the mood takes you, and not be restrained by a fixed tempo. So you speed up and slow down as you play, and that is a major part of it. And your harmonies are very pleasant to listen to. I think some of the modern 'classical' music, particularly when played in churches, has no harmony in it at all. I think sometimes they are trying to impress us with sounds that have never been heard before.

So your choice of Offenbach from 1858 is perfect for me.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Orpheus

Postby kens » 20 Apr 2021 15:20

Thanks Hugh. You are correct about some church music. I once sat through a long recital by a German professor of music . He was invited to visit a church where a new organ had been installed. He brought a choir with him. They sang one piece and then he played continuously with the most boring music. Even the choir were falling asleep. Memorable for the wrong reasons. Ken
Organ: Yamaha EL700
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 August (Joint Winner)
kens
Prolific Poster

Return to Classical Corner