A new approach to the monthly Challenges

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Sep 2023 18:10

When we started the "New Challenges" Ian Wolstenholme wanted to feature the 'Winner(s)' on his Radio Show, “Community Keyboards” - Oldham Community Radio 99.7FM. So we needed a 'Winner'. As Admin didn't want to get involved in choosing 'Winners', we decided to let the Members VOTE on the entries and come up with a Winner that way. As it would be difficult to choose just one song from such a variety of entries, Brian Dawson (Brian007) suggested we gave everyone three votes .. and this has worked well.

Since we started the Challenges in August 2018 (that's 5 years this has been going!) several things have cropped up making it more difficult to continue the Challenges in their present form. For starters, by having the rule that you can't enter something you had entered in a previous challenge it is becoming more and more difficult to remember (or even find out, as 'searches' don't always work) if we had entered a song in a previous Challenge. We then had a restriction of three entries in a Challenge .. and sometimes this means we are missing out on some very interesting music to listen to! And now that Ian Wolstenholme has taken over the running of Oldham Community Radio, the organ program he ran has come to an end.

So what we have decided is that from now on (starting with the October 2023 Challenge) you can enter any song that meets the criteria of the Challenge. No restriction on the number of entries; and no worries if you have entered the song in a previous Challenge .. or even won a Challenge with that song. And there will be no Voting at the end of the month.

In a nutshell, the Challenge will be a place to post music for others to listen to .. following the theme of the Challenge. And there will be one more difference. The Challenge section (as from October 2023) will be available for anyone, anywhere to listen to, so posting a song in here will be different to posting a song in Instrumentals, as the Instrumentals board can be listened to by Members only. Note that if you allow your music to be 'downloaded' then anyone, anywhere will be able to see it, listen to it and download it. If you don't want your music to be downloaded by anyone else, there are options in audio.com and Box to prevent people from downloading your music. I personally am not bothered about this .. at my age! If anyone wants to download my music (eg. so they can play it in their car whilst driving), I am really chuffed that they should want to do that!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: A new approach to the monthly Challenges

Postby kens » 04 Oct 2023 11:34

Hi! Hugh.
Friends have asked me how do they get to the challenge pages. Answer is " I don't know" Help !!! Ken S.
Organ: Yamaha EL700
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 August (Joint Winner)
kens
Prolific Poster

Re: A new approach to the monthly Challenges

Postby Hugh-AR » 04 Oct 2023 22:18

Ken,

Are they MEMBERS? Or non-Members. If they are not Members, go to:

http://www.tierce-de-picrdie.co.uk

.. where the will see this:

Clicking on the board for Guests & Visitors they will see this:

Click on the Info topic.. and then they can click on New Challenges. This is in GREEN. Any GREEN heading they click on will take them straight through to the topic concerned.

They would then have to click on the October Challenge. Any of the others, they would have to be a MEMBER to get in.

Or they can go the way Members do, and just click on New Challenges on the Home Page. The advantage of the Guests & Visitors board is that it gives them all the Topics in the Forum they can visit without joining.

If you LOG OUT of the Forum yourself you can see all this as a 'Guest'. Make sure you know your Password to log back in again!

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Info about the Challenge Board