SMFs from Music Room (Challenge) for download

SMFs from Music Room (Challenge) for download

Postby siebenhirter » 14 Jan 2019 19:21

Hugh-AR wrote: ... you may already be able to record directly to MP3 from your keyboard or organ, and if you can do this I'm sure we would all want to know what instrument you have that enables you to do this. There are normally two basic formats when recording. One is AUDIO and the other is MIDI. AUDIO is what we want, as this is basically what we hear when listening. If you record to MIDI then you are recording a DATA file, which you can manipulate ..................

Hello,
When I read this post in rubrik "Recording one's keyboard/organ:" I thought for me it would be advantageous, even when playing/hearing MP3 songs from "Music Room" (esp from the Challenge Board) also to get informations about instruments, but above all an SMF (Standard Midi File) of the songs for download.

As a miserable hobby-player for me always it is important to get an SMF from a song in particular, to experiment with it and to choose for myself what traces would be suitable for using my humble musical skills at least to mute a track and trying to play the events of that track by myself.

In this case staff do not have to be obtained, but are already available in the SMF. How to extract or adapt the track-settings of the source instrument to my own instrument, cause me less difficulties than to make music yourself.

As not only to be able to listen to songs, but also to be able to try to play them themselves, for me it would be gratifying not only to be able to get mp3-files, but above all to be able to use the SMFs from the songs for download.

I would therefore ask you in addition to the MP3 files also to make available SMFs for download if possible. Thank you very much.
kind regards
siebenhirter
siebenhirter
Novice Poster

Re: SMFs from Music Room (Challenge) for download

Postby Brian007 » 15 Jan 2019 07:52

Hi siebenhirter,

This is an interesting request and I completely understand why you are asking for it, this will inevitably be up to the individual members to decide.
Not everyone records to midi first and then converts to audio, but those that do record to midi first will then have to decide if they wish to make
the midi file freely available on the forum, will be interesting to see what happens,

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 15 Jan 2019 14:48

Brian,

Is this how you normally record? Record first to MIDI and then record to Audio from that. Or do you record directly to MP3 (Audio). And if you have only recorded to MP3 can you then go back and generate a Midi File for that song? Presumably not without recording the piece again.

With my AR organ I can't do either. No Midi and no MP3. My organ records to .b00 and .evt files on a floppy, which work together when you 'play' the floppy back through the organ. First it sets up all the Registrations, and then it plays the piece. So you are able to physically see what has been set up and use the voices and styles for playing the piece yourself. To get an MP3 I have to take a lead from the LINE OUT of the organ and get the audio fed into Audacity on my laptop. So no chance of getting an SMF file from me.

Now, if you are reading this and do have an SMF file (Midi) of any of your MP3 uploads, please can you email me at hugh@ar-group.org and attach the file. I can then add this into your post. Or, upload the file to Box and put the BoxLink into your original post.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 15 Jan 2019 19:11

Hi Hugh,

I have done in the past , but since moving over to the Korg I have been using more and more direct audio recording and adding any extra tracks the same way, using just audio. Midi can be hit and miss some times, so recording straight audio is much more straightforward and predictable

I have learned a lot by using Garageband on the iPad

There are lots of free Elvis Midi files available here for anyone wanting to play along http://www.sortmusic.com/_e/elvis-presley-free-midi-files,len.html

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby siebenhirter » 02 Feb 2019 00:08

Hugh-AR wrote: ... Is this how you normally record? Record first to MIDI and then record to Audio from that. Or do you record directly to MP3 (Audio). ....

Hallo Brian, hallo Hugh
I normally do not record - it would be an environmental damage caused by noise of my meagre musical skills.
Technical i can record SMFs and MP3 with my devices (Yamaha HS6, Korg Pa500, some MasterKeyboards).

But I prefer to use some tracks of MIDI files from people with musical skills. These SMF tracks are played with sequencer while I try to supplement these tracks with voices of my devices, as far as my skills allow me to do.

So I could be happy to play along in company with a well organized orchester - until I'm maybe able to play a humble song all by myself - perhaps with my own style player and in realtime.

Unfortunately, I never received a musical education and was already an adult when the midi technique was invented. I was interested in this, so that I have been a fan of SMFs since then, because with that I could see how other people play music. An SMF also allows many changes that are not possible with an audio recording - for example, playing the same musical sequences with other timbres or at all on different sound generators or keyboards.

Some of my SMFs I get from Les Gorven, an artists of "MIDI Studio Consortium". There also you can find many artists: Deb Ackley, Dick Anderson, Don Caroll, Gary Allen, Gary Wachtel, Julio Cezar, Mel Webb, Ray Barclay, Robert Dupler, Ted Keener, Tom Kristoffersen etc. So finally I like to make music from a selection of thousands of songs (Ballroom Dancing, Latin, Spanish, Easy Rock, SoftRock, Country, Gospel etc) together with people I never saw, but once made SMFs I can use as often and in as many variations as desired.
For me the difference between SMF and Audio is like difference between a house plan and a finished house, or in music between staff and music played. I don't need a finished house to inhabit and I don't need pre-played music to be enjoyed - although this is very appealing. But I like to built my house myself and to play music by myself also - and for me, that's more delightful.

So if I can find SMF for download in the Music Room I will be happy about it and try to play the way you did here - and if I find an Audio file I will also be happy to listen to it and how it sounded when you played and recorded it.

Greetings from Lower Austria, near Vienna
siebenhirter
kind regards
siebenhirter
siebenhirter
Novice Poster

Return to Info about the Challenge Board