Getting Bookings

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Getting Bookings

Postby NativeAngels » 22 Jan 2019 12:51

I've been playing keyboards for over 16 years now, had residencies in Hotels, played at numerous nursing homes and private functions.
Arranger Keyboards are perceived by a lot of people as toys, and today there is a lack of platforms for musicians to showcase what they can do. YouTube is great but unless you have subscribers your not really being noticed.
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Re: Getting Bookings

Postby Brian007 » 24 Jan 2019 08:34

Hi James,

Your right there are not the venues now that there used to be, nursing homes are struggling financially, most pubs have an open mic night or a singer or a band and there is not a lot left apart from biggish hotels, I honestly think that if I was looking for live work ( and I am not ) I would go back to playing a guitar or just singing as from where I am looking there is not a lot of opportunities about for just a solo keyboard player, maybe more luck to join a band or trio.

Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 24 Jan 2019 09:05

It's not just keyboard players either. It's organists too. We have an organ club here in Weston-super-Mare, and although ours is still going strong, many of the clubs round us have closed down (which I'm sure has actually increased our Membership). This includes one in Taunton recently, which surprised me. Maybe Weston is the place where all the retired 'oldies' are.

When the Artistes come they are often bemoaning the fact that there are fewer and fewer clubs for them to play for.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby NativeAngels » 24 Jan 2019 09:13

Problem with a lot of Nursing Homes is the Activities Coordinators change hands quite frequently and they forget to leave the dates previously booked.
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Postby dentyr » 23 Apr 2019 21:40

Hello, You are so correct. As one famous singer/Guitar player sang "Nobody wants you if you just play Yamaha (Guitar)". I have given up trying to play in pubs, clubs and restaurants. Main reason I have been given is Copyright! Playing in Nursing Homes you are playing for free, the audience is not paying for you to play but it is still a very sticky wicket. Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby NativeAngels » 26 Apr 2019 22:25

Spec calling doesn't seem to get much results I usually get the AC (Activities Coordinator) is busy, or doesn't have a diary available and they'll call back but never do.

I've started putting tracks on YouTube but not really got that many views.

Sound cloud is much the same.

Most places want a sing and backing tracks that's it, not someone who can play a real instrument.
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Postby dentyr » 27 Apr 2019 07:10

You are so correct "
Most places want a sing and backing tracks that's it, not someone who can play a real instrument.

Get a $10 guitar from the OP shop, an old home theater amp and a mic and squawk like a scalded cat and you have gigs everywhere. Real music seems to have gone out of the window. The usual answer is "We can pay a CD for free". Regards,Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby NativeAngels » 27 Apr 2019 20:06

It's a hard slog, and quite easy to get disheartened. Yeah is nice being a home player but nothing beats the reaction from playing to an audience.
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 27 Apr 2019 20:54

Having an organ and no keyboard has made it impossible for me to 'get bookings'. Couldn't possibly move the organ, and wouldn't want to damage it anyway. There was one instance when I did manage to 'play out' .. at our organ club. We had a 'Members Evening' where Members could play their 'party pieces', and it just so happened that they had set up an AR 80 organ (the one that I have) on the stage. And having my own Registration Disks for what I play I was able to set the organ up and play a few numbers. This was the only 'Open Evening' our club has ever had, so cannot say if the experience of that evening was considered a success or not! :( :(

But I digress. You have reminded me of an incident that occurred just after we had moved into our Hotel in Weston, in 1979. Whenever I walked down into town I passed a Nursing Home and noticed that they had a piano in their front room. As I play the piano, I just wondered if they would like me to go and provide some entertainment once in a while. Not on a regular basis, as with the Hotel we never knew when we would be busy.

I finally plucked up the courage to go in and ask the Matron in charge. And she said, "Oh! No thank you. They wouldn't appreciate it as they all have one foot in the grave."

I walked out in a state of shock. Remind me when the time comes that I don't want to end up staying there!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby NativeAngels » 27 Apr 2019 22:02

That's pretty bad, I do have a few regulars and from home to home the way the staff interact with the service users (not aloud to say residents now) I varied from having them all the there feet or those that could to totally disappearing.

I do remember something funny at a hotel I was resident at, it was in Glenshee before it burnt down. They had regular coach parties from all over.

There was this occasion I was playing a Scottish medley and one of the male guests (more senior age group) came down from the room in a Kilt, and proceeded to climb on a table where a group of ladies from the coach party were sitting. Next thing one of the ladies said 'I wonder if he's a true Scotsman?'. You can imagine what happens next. Yep you guessed it he lifted his kilt.
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Postby NativeAngels » 03 May 2019 14:33

Just returned from a first booking for a Alzheimer Group. What a great response. Really enjoyed the sound from the Korg Pa700, lots of cards handed out. Hopefully more bookings to follow.
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 03 May 2019 14:53

James,

Well done you!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 May 2019 12:19

I sent George (George) an email asking him about his experiences with 'playing out'.
Reading between the lines, I gather that you play your Genos keyboard at "Old Folks Homes" (if you are allowed to call them that!). Do you do that a lot? Or is it just the one home that you go to? Do you have any comments about what you do?

I have heard back from George, and he says:
Yes, I have been playing at an old folks home in Whitley Bay for over 20 years, up till yesterday when I retired. I have enjoyed doing it but humping the gear about I was finding was getting a bit much anyway. At my age I think I should be watching what I'm doing. Now I have time to play for my enjoyment, and looking forward to doing that because there was a lot of work doing more programs all the time.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2022 July; August
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat