Sounds of the kbds - Quantum Physics

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Sounds of the kbds - Quantum Physics

Postby dentyr » 29 Dec 2019 21:26

Recently I have been delving into Quantum Physics. A common question that often came up, and is relevant to our music and keyboards, “If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?” The short answer to that is NO. It will create air waves, amongst other waves, but those waves have to be translated into sound by eardrums. If a totally deaf person was there in the forest then the lack of eardrums would result in no sound to that person.

People who have bought into the new Genos (bless their cotton socks) say it sounds better. Better than what? When manufacturers produce a keyboard they put in voices that they consider appropriate. “The keyboards are built by idiots for operation by experts.” Consider the Yamaha range. It was often complained that the ‘strings’ sections were not good; but if you adjust the violin voice for instance, you can get it so high that you can’t hear it at all!! However, all the dogs in the neighbourhood would curl up and howl. I learned very early in my playing time that many of the nursing home residents could not hear much above the A above middle C. Any high notes would make their hearing aids squeal.

Again, when playing music, if you listen to tracks through $5 computer speakers you will get a sound. That is what the speakers are there for. However, if you play the same track through a top of the range Bose or B&O set then you sure will hear the difference.

On Sunday 29th December 2019 a fellow came to my house with a Genos. I had ideas that I would buy the thing and add it to my collection. Again, I was not impressed. Why? Because I was used to listening to the sounds that my Tyros 4 made. Although I played around with the Genos for quite a while I realised that I was trying to get it to sound like my Tyros! Apart from that, I was playing the same songs in the same way and making the same mistakes!!!

Having written that, I listened to a CD that I recorded on my PSR S900 and it sounded great. I have listened to Kevin Adams playing his PSR S670 and that sounds great. The tracks that I have recorded on my S770 sound OK but the sounds are ‘sharper’ whereas my Tyros is more mellow.

Sound, like taste and sight of colours, is an opinion. If you have a slight hearing loss such that many of us do as we get older, then the sounds vary. Likewise, I hate garlic but all the TV cooks load it in. Their food would put me in hospital for a week.

I write this in praise of ALL keyboards no matter what they are. It is your listening experience that matters.

To end this, anyone interested in Quantum Physics wave forms etc can PM me. Have fun.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat