Including a solo instrument into Instrumental Styles

Post in here anything you have done with your keyboard or organ,
or any queries you may have about your keyboard or organ.
Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Including a solo instrument into Instrumental Styles

Postby barwonfan » 04 Jan 2021 00:20

I am trying to collect a few styles which have a solo instrument built into one of the Variations A.B.C.D. On reflection .... Perhaps there is another way of solving my problem. Maybe an experienced player would just switch off the Accompaniment from time to time whilst playing a song, to allow an instrument to hold forth {Shine] Do any of our members do this? Maybe this could be the Challenge for February or March or April J.T.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Re: Including a solo instrument into Instrumental Styles

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 Jan 2021 14:36

Hi J.T.,

Not sure what you meant by
styles which have a solo instrument built into one of the Variations A.B.C.D.

The MAIN VATIATIONS A, B, C and D are STYLES with 'band members' providing a backing for you to play your melody with. They don't contain 'solo' instruments for you to play the melody with, so you have to choose a solo instrument yourself for eg. R1.

Now there are 'solo instruments' attached to STYLES, but these are not part of the Style. These 'Voices' are allocated by Yamaha as being suitable instruments to go with the Style you have selected. These instruments are in the ONE TOUCH SETTING, which are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 (one to go with each MAIN VATIATIONS A, B, C and D). However, these Voices are not set in stone and you can change any of them to another Voice of your choice. Put that into a REGISTRATION MEMORY by pressing MEMORY and then one of the number 1 to 8 and you can build up a series of REGISTRATIONS with the same Style but different Voices to play the melody with.

If you want to have access to these again you would have to SAVE this as a REGISTRATION BANK (give it a name so you will remember what is in it).

As for switching OFF the accompaniment from time to time and having a solo instrument on it's own, apart from doing that for a 'break' in the middle of a song the whole idea of an Arranger Keyboard is to have a band at your fingertips to accompany your playing. You could of course not have the STYLE playing at all and play the keyboard as if it were a 'solo' instrument like a piano or an organ.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby barwonfan » 06 Jan 2021 01:44

Thank you, Hugh. I am digesting your reply to my post. I lack a bit of patience making up Registrations, and there may be no way round . I will attach a Style to this post One which I love. It illustrates what I mean about having a solo instrument centre stage. I don't really understand how to analyse the style , but maybe the kind person who made it had gone into the mixing console and reduced the volume on each backing instrument and increased the volume on the instrument they want to shine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Jan 2021 19:21

Hi JT,

The STYLE you have attached (which loads perfectly into my Tyros 4) is very interesting! When you look at the various PARTS (press the CHANNEL ON/OFF button) ..

.. you will see the PARTS listed on the screen.

By pressing the bottom data control buttons (arrows) under the screen (numbered 1 to 8 ) ..

.. turn all these to OFF. Then press the bottom button under each one, one at a time to turn that PART back ON and listen to what is in that PART. Turn each one OFF again by pressing the same bottom button before listening to the next one.

There is NO Rhythm at all in this STYLE. There is a BASS Part, but it comes in very slowly, and gradually builds up Other PARTS are interesting to listen to too, as they also 'build up', and even 'pan' from side to side.

All the PARTS have a good VOLUME allocated to them, but the PATTERN LENGTH (Measure) is 8 bars before it repeats itself. This is not your standard 'backing' to accompany a song. It is what we call a FREE PLAY STYLE. It means you can play whatever melody and chords you like with the gradually changing backing, which makes it a very exciting project to tackle.

I can see why you find this sort of STYLE so attractive, and hope you will let us know of any others you come across.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby barwonfan » 07 Jan 2021 02:46

That's amazing. Thanks a million. I'm currently checking it out on my PSR 970, and I think your very detailed instructions will be applicable to my 970. The photos accompanying your post will help enormously. J.T.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Return to Keyboard Chat