Calypso Carol

Viewable by Members and non-Members.

Calypso Carol

Postby Hugh-AR » 06 Nov 2018 16:42

I first heard this done with this rhythm at the school where I worked (many years ago). A music teacher from a secondary school nearby had come to help us put together some Christmas Carols for the children to sing, and this was his 'take' on how a 'Calypso' should be played. It was the rhythm that got me. 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2 / 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2 .. and I could not get my head round it. It was not like any 'automated rhythm' I had on my organ. I had to chant this rhythm all day to myself until my brain accepted that this was 'normal'.

What I have done in this piece is to use both hands to play the 'rhythm part' on the Lower manual with piano; then play this back and whilst listening to it add the melody on the Upper. A 'double' recording, which I can do on my organ as I can record the manuals separately.

I have ended the piece with 'waves breaking on the shore'.

From Wikipedia:
Calypso is a style of Afro-Caribbean music that originated in Trinidad and Tobago during the early to mid-19th century, and eventually spread to the rest of the Caribbean Antilles and Venezuela by the mid-20th century. Its rhythms can be traced back to West African Kaiso and the arrival of French planters and their slaves from the French Antilles in the 18th century.

Calypso Carol

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Calypso Carol

Postby Jon D » 06 Nov 2018 17:07

Hi there Hugh,
A very good performance liked the video and the sound of the organ well played my good friend. :D :D :D

Jon D. 8) 8) 8)
Hi there I have played from the age of 13 and all my music is played in a sort of dance tempo style. Have worked in nearly all the North East clubs over the years. That gave me a good grounding. Cheers.
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 April; November (Joint Winner)
2022 June; November
2023 January; August (Joint Winner)
Jon D
Prolific Poster

Postby JohnT » 06 Nov 2018 19:53

Hi Hugh. Something different and well put together with sounds and accompaniment. Most enjoyable. John. Now where’s the suntan cream. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Postby Brian007 » 07 Nov 2018 08:31

Hi Hugh,

A new one on me, but still a nice tune to listen to and good video to match, well played and voiced young man

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Christmas Carols & Festive Songs 2018