Tips on sound combinations

What voice combinations do you choose when playing your keyboard?
Please tell us!

Tips on sound combinations

Postby NativeAngels » 08 Sep 2018 10:27

When working out what sounds to play with a song what combinations of sounds do you use. Ie a ballad starting off quiet and building to a big finish.
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Re: Tips on sound combinations

Postby Brian007 » 08 Sep 2018 10:37

Hi James,

Me personally I would bring in the strings and then a choir for a big finish

Brian007 :D :D
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 09 Sep 2018 16:47

Hi James,

Choosing voices for a piece is always a difficult one as more often than not the piece one is trying to play is a 'vocal' and one is playing it as an 'instrumental'. So the consideration has to be, "What sound(s) will best fit the 'mood' of the piece?". And different voices are played in different ways. A percussive instrument like a piano or vibes will be played with 'attack'; and with strings or a horn the technique will be to run one note smoothly into the next. I think there is no doubt that how you play a piece will depend on the sounds you are using.

And then you have to think of what tempo it should be set at? Too slow and the piece will 'drag'. Too fast and it will sound as if one is rushing to get to the end, pack up and go home.

Half the fun of playing our keyboards is finding those styles and voices that we think will suit the song we are playing. I think one's approach to any song will depend on the song. In this one below I have started off with no backing at all .. just chords and melody. Then as the song starts I have brought in the drums and bass ... and as the piece progresses I have gradually increased the 'tempo'. And to get a 'fuller' sound I have switched from playing the melody with single notes to playing with full chords. But no 'big finish' as what I have done here is to gradually 'fade out' at the end.

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
Those Were The Days

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby NativeAngels » 28 Dec 2018 22:49

As time has moved on with my Korg Pa700 and dug deeper I've found more features that you can use to add to your keyboard sets. You can add multiple splits on your upper sounds (So you can for example have a straight piano sound on 2 octaves and piano and strings on another 2 octaves). You can also set up different velocity settings for your upper sounds (you could have strings when you play softly and then a brass come in on top of the strings when you press the keys harder)
Image .. Image
NativeAngels
Super Poster

Postby Brian007 » 29 Dec 2018 07:53

Hi James,

That sounds very interesting, more especially as I too have a Korg but haven't tried multiple split points or velocity switching which
sounds very interesting, just never seem to have the time to experiment that much and tend to only go deeper for a specific need .
But you have certainly given me food fot thought,

All the best, Brian007
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2018 September (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner)
2020 February (Joint Winner); April (Joint Winner); June; October (Joint Winner)
2021 February
Brian007
Prolific Poster

Return to Voice Combinations