Freeplay Styles

Any comments about the Styles you use, or how you adapt them for your own use, please post in here.

Freeplay Styles

Postby barwonfan » 28 Apr 2021 01:54

I wonder if a Freeplay Style is a style which does not have a beat. Is it OK to use a Freeplay Style as an intro or an outro when playing a song with a 4/4 Time Signature ? Is it OK to use a Freeplay style as an intro or an outro when playing a song with a 3/4 Time Signature? J.T.
Keyboard: PSR-S970; PSR-SX900
Image A Musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse.
I love listening to members performances on this forum and I ALWAYS turn off the speakers on my lap top and plug in my headphones.
barwonfan
Super Poster

Re: Freeplay Styles

Postby Hugh-AR » 29 Apr 2021 13:43

JT,

Yes, a 'Freeplay Style' is one without a beat. As for using them as an intro or an outro when playing a song I think that would be difficult. As far as I can tell, these Freeplay Styles may not be putting out a beat that you can hear, but they are 'counting the beat' in the background (you can see it counting 1, 2, 3, 4 (or 1, 2, 3) on your MAIN screen) so the problem is .. how do you come in on the first beat of the bar when you switch to a Style with a rhythm?

You could turn the backing OFF and immediately press the SYNC START so the new Style starts the moment you play a chord with your left hand. But if you do that you end up with 'silence' between the one Style and the other.

I have managed to keep 'on the beat' with a Freeplay Style by having the METRONOME going (with the 'clang' on the first beat of the bar) so I can keep in time with what the keyboard is doing. This is fine when doing a recording, as the sound of the Metronome does not come out in the recording. But I couldn't do this 'live' as you would hear the Metronome through the speakers.

For more on this, click this LINK:

Using a "Free Play" STYLE followed by a 'normal' STYLE

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Styles