Brilliant Bb jazz blues comping tutorial

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

Brilliant Bb jazz blues comping tutorial

Postby papadeedee » 13 Feb 2017 16:48

Organ: Orla Ringway RS 400 EU
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Re: Brilliant Bb jazz blues comping tutorial

Postby Hugh-AR » 16 Feb 2017 23:51

Hi Brian,

Yes, very good. She made a comment at the beginning about adjusting what you play if you are playing with a bass player. You wouldn't have to play bass notes on the piano as the bass player would be doing that. Of course, if one has an organ then one already has a bass player in one's 'band' .. the foot pedals. So what she is suggesting you play on the 'keys' if you had a bass player would apply for an organ.

Then, it's interesting how she makes up those 'jazz chords' (as I would call them). Playing the seventh and the third with the left hand, and the ninth and thirteenth with the right. She also made a comment about not repeating any of the chord. It is so important always to have the chord split across the keys. The same principle applies when playing theatre organ music. Don't repeat notes in left and right hands.

I was also interested to see that for 'blues', it is the dominant seventh that appears everywhere, as you pointed out to me.

Going back to that bass player. Of course, if you are playing with others then you would adjust what you play so as not to repeat what they are doing. Sort of frees one up to be creative. And I'm not thinking just of the bass player here. I am thinking of times when the melody is being played by somebody else. Of course in the band I was in, we had a trumpeter and a saxophonist who played the tune, so I didn't have to do it (although they did always let me play the tune at some point). And in the Scottish Country Dance Band it was the piano accordionist who played the tune. In our situation, you only need a microphone and sing the melody, which would then free up the right hand to do all sorts of creative counter melodies and rhythm accompaniments. You did a bit of singing with your 'blues' in Bb, which freed up both hands to play your 'blues rhythm accompaniment'. Try doing a right-click on these LINKS below to open them up in a New Tab. Then you can carry on reading these comments while you are listening to the music.

I Waited All Day

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5122

Another person who 'sings' and therefore can use both hand to do something brilliant on the keyboard apart from just play the tune is PaulaD. Just see what she does on her keyboard here, when she doesn't have to 'play' the tune.

My Way, at the Inauguration Ball.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5102

Hugh

PS. I have no intention of doing any singing!
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby papadeedee » 17 Feb 2017 10:22

Hi Hugh,
The third and seventh are the most important notes as they define the quality of the chord. Major, minor, dominant.
examples.( C major chord - 3rd is E, 7th is B ) (C minor chord, - 3rd is Eb, 7th is Bb) C dom 7 chord,- 3rd is E, 7th is Bb.)
so long as you include these notes, you can choose which others to add.
As a general rule, the bass covers the root, the piano plays 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th. I won't elaborate because there are too many other
things to be considered when choosing how to voice a chord.
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Ron » 17 Feb 2017 12:26

I really enjoyed that video being an old bass player. It got the juices flowing so much I was tempted to switch on the keyboards after not playing for 18 months. Maybe later .

Ron
Twin setup: Tyros 3 and Yamaha Piaggero NP-11
Fretless Bass, Fender Bass amp: BXR300C, Trace Elliot Commando 100W

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
2022 September (Joint Winner)
Ron

Postby papadeedee » 17 Feb 2017 14:26

Please come back Ron, we need people to post and if you don't have anything
new to post, then post something you have previously recorded.
The site really needs all the support it can get. :D :D
best regards,
Brian
papadeedee
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Feb 2017 19:44

Hi Ron,

Being an 'old bass player' (how much emphasis should I put on the 'old'? :wink: ) I thought you might like the video below. I know it's not 'keyboard', but it makes me think of you (maybe!).

Last night I went to our Playhouse Theatre in Weston-super-Mare to see 'The Story of Guitar Heroes'. They did 'take offs' of eg. Brian May, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Hank Marvin etc. We all have 'guitar' on our keyboards/organs and often use the guitar as a 'solo instrument'. The guitar has such a 'bright' sound. You'll hear and see the bass player in this clip:

I echo what Brian has said (maybe I should say 'reverb' instead of 'echo'?). If you have something you have previously recorded and can put it up, then that would be great. If not, just keep viewing TDP to see what we are up to (you must be doing this or you wouldn't have put that posting up!). There's some great postings on this site.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Ron » 18 Feb 2017 10:28

Hi Brian & Hugh,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. This was my first visit to the forum in ages and as I said I have not played keyboards or bass in ages. So, I cannot post anything new but will continue to visit from time to time. BTW, the Bb comping tutorial has created some fresh interest for me, so many thanks for posting the link.

Regards,
Ron

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
Ron

Postby Ron » 18 Feb 2017 11:00

Hi again Brian,

I just noticed that sharing of My Jukebox ( old recordings) had been blocked. As new members will have been denied access to those early musical fumblings, I have changed to open sharing. Doubt if anything new will be forth coming as my arthritis has now spread to wrists and fingers. BTW, "old" bass player is as in "very old" bass player. 8)

Regards,

Ron

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2019 May (Joint Winner)
Ron

Return to Playing Technique