Regular Warm Up

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

Regular Warm Up

Postby PeterA » 13 May 2018 08:29

Regular Warm Up

We all realise that athletes and sports people will always warm up before commencing their activity. We need to recognize that as organ/keyboard playing can be quite physical, we need to consider doing the same. Therefore we need to warm up as well before we spend a long spell playing.

It won’t come as a surprise that our fingers are one area that we fail to exercise properly. If you are like me, with one replacement knee joint, (which is brilliant by the way) you have to maintain an exercise regime or you will get stiff.

In the following posts I’ll explore some ideas to help us in this area.

Having made the observation that athletes and sports people always warm up, especially before strenuous exercise, and recognising that our fingers are a major area that we fail to pay attention to, let’s investigate how we can make things easier for ourselves.

Our hands obviously play a very key (excuse the pun) part in our organ/keyboard skills. Unevenness and inaccuracies in our playing mainly occur because of weakness in our fingers and the relationship between them. The smaller or less significant digits seem to cause us more trouble than our thumbs, index and middle fingers. On closer consideration we soon realise that the alternation of fingers 3 & 5, or the alternation of fingers 2 & 4 causes us most trouble.

So with that in mind, with our hands, we need to maintain the side to side stretch, and also to build strength, co-ordination and independence into our fingers. I appreciate that this is very important for pianists, for obvious reasons, but some pieces we play on our keyboards do require extra effort.

Warning – Before commencing any exercise, you may wish to discuss the matter with your Doctor – that is a clause that I have added to indicate that you tackle these at your own risk!!!! Like frequent signs in car parks about the risk of leaving your car in one of their parking spaces, TDP can take no responsibility for any accidents.

But to be serious, you may well say, "I've been playing for decades and I've never sustained an injury or even caused someone else to suffer one", but you can overdo even simple exercises and injure yourself, so you have been warned! You cannot be too careful. Proceed with caution.

To start with, if freedom of movement is our aim, then good posture is essential.

So sit at your organ/keyboard ... tall, but not stiff. You know what I mean. Never slouch. Let your shoulders relax and down, while retaining a sense of buoyancy.

A slow gentle rocking back, forth and sideways from your hips will help you keep your arm joints mobile.

Your seating position and posture actually affects the way your arm weight operates. For instance, if you sit too close to the keyboard in order to focus on the music (because of failing eyesight, for example), your arms will push your hands forward, effectively jamming your wrists and forcing your fingers to play from an awkward angle. So moving back a little, keeping your back straight will cause your arms to pull your hands gently back and restore a healthy playing position.

Think of your elbows as wanting to bend and pull backwards, and your wrists as being drawn downwards, with your fingers as pulling at the keys.

Regularly and consciously think about your posture when playing.

Peter
Organ: Yamaha AR80
PeterA
Active Poster

Re: Regular Warm Up

Postby Hugh-AR » 13 May 2018 10:41

Peter,

Referring to a comment you made above,
Your seating position and posture actually affects the way your arm weight operates.

I would just like to add here that I was getting severe back problems when sitting at my organ and playing it. When I went to see a physiotherapist about it, she suggested I made a foam cushion to sit on, the length of the stool, with a three inch thickness at the back and one inch at the front. She said this would improve my posture when playing the organ.

So I did that, and at first I felt that I was 'falling into a pit'. But after a while I got used to the posture, and my back problems disappeared. When others come and play my organ, the first thing they do is throw the cushion off the stool! But I can tell you, if I sit and play without that cushion I get backache within about five minutes of playing. And it feels all wrong without the cushion.

Just a comment, which you can take with a piece of salt, but it works for me. I also have a similar cushion in the car and find I can drive long distances now without getting backache. I used to struggle before.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby PeterA » 13 May 2018 11:42

So let us underline that ....... Good posture is essential

So sit at your organ ... tall, but not stiff. You know what I mean. Never slouch. Let your shoulders relax down, while retaining a sense of buoyancy.

A slow gentle rocking back, forth and sideways from your hips will help you keep your arm joints mobile.

Thank you, Hugh

Peter
PeterA
Active Poster

Postby PeterA » 13 May 2018 12:09

Here for starters is a good way to 'warm up' your hands before playing. I don't mean by putting them on the radiator!

A. General hand warm up

1. Hold your hands in front of you, palms facing away, as if you are pushing against a wall with both hands.
  2. With a loose wrist, slowly circle your hands both clockwise and anti-clockwise.
  3. Bring your hands together in front of you like you’re praying, palm-to-palm, finger-to-finger, and extend your elbows out to the side.
  4. Slowly rotate your wrists so that your fingers point toward you, and then away from you, and finally down to the ground.
  5. Repeat a few times as you loosen your wrists.
Physical tension can easily become incorporated into your playing through the necessary repetition of practicing. So it’s very important to develop a pattern of releasing your muscles as you play and building this pattern into your playing. Doing this also becomes a way to unify the physical and mental components of music making, because staying comfortable while you play requires constant monitoring for areas of discomfort.

In the next Reply, I look at Stretching exercises.

Peter
PeterA
Active Poster

Postby PeterA » 21 May 2018 15:34

B. Stretching Exercises

You need to use your knees for this one.
It so happens that the width of your knee is proportionate to the potential stretch of your hands.

Sit down, and cross one leg over the other. If you have a replacement knee, this may prove to be uncomfortable.

Now straighten the leg which is on top, so it sticks straight out in front of you.

Take this next step slowly and if it hurts then stop.

Keeping your leg straight out in front of you, place your index and middle fingers of either hand, either side of your knee cap. They will be pointing almost vertically down to the ground.

Now slowly and gradually bend that leg at the knee.
As it bends, the knee joint widens and it will naturally push your fingers apart. Don’t try to bend your either leg too quickly or even too far. Just bending it a small amount will stretch that finger spacing.

Now try the same thing with your middle and ring fingers. If you are like me, these will be less inclined to flex, so take it steadily and cautiously. Finally, do the same thing with your ring and little fingers. This may well be the pair that feel the stress most.

Now cross the other knee over and repeat the whole process with your other hand.

Initially your fingers will be reluctant to stretch, so don’t over push them. But with gentle daily repetition, they will eventually loosen up and you will probably want to bend those legs more and more.

In the next Reply, I shall look at strength, co-ordination and independence.

Peter
PeterA
Active Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 21 May 2018 16:00

Peter,

Index and middle finger I can just about manage. But middle and ring finger? That will only stretch from outside of the knee to the middle of the knee. No chance of getting it on either side of the knee cap, even with the leg stretched right out in front of me. Ring and little finger is slightly better, but not much.

The above refers to my right hand. My left hand is much easier to do.

Must be that arthritis creeping in.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby PeterA » 31 May 2018 09:04

C. Strength, Co-ordination and independence Exercises

Stage 1 of 3 stages

Form your hand into a tight fist, then relax it as if you were holding a small ball. Your thumb and fingertips should now all line up.

Lay your fingertips on a table.
Raise your thumb without disturbing your other fingers. Lift it quite high.
Tap that thumb 3 separate times on the table and set it back down again.

Now lift you index finger off the table, and again tap the tip of that finger 3 times on the table before setting it down again.

You should now clearly see where this is going.

So do the same with the middle, ring and little fingers of that hand. Don’t forget – don’t disturb the other fingers or your thumb.

Then do exactly the same set of exercises with your other hand.

Stage 2 of 3 stages

Now after a few days, when you have got used to these simple exercises, try it on your keyboard.

Important! - Turn the volume of the keyboard you choose .. right down !!!

Press down on five adjacent white keys.

Now go through the series of exercises again as explained in Stage 1, but as you lift the thumb or finger in turn, ensure that the other 4 digits keep pressing down on the notes. This should be achieved by your arm weight alone, not by pressing or squeezing your fingers. If you don’t do this properly, you will only generate tension in your hand and arm.

Don't forget to do this with both hands.

Stage 3 of 3 stages

After a week or so of repeating Stage 2, you can now turn the volume up on your keyboard.

Now just rest your finger on those 5 adjacent notes without pushing them down.
There should be no sound at this point.

First press the thumb down 3 times, so that just that note sounds. The other 4 fingers should just continue to rest on the keys and not press down on them.

Don’t worry if things go awry for the first few times you try this.

Now rest that thumb back on its key and press down with your index finger, again 3 times. Just the index finger note should sound and the other 4 remain silent.

Continue in turn to do this with the middle, ring and little fingers of that hand.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall when you try your ring finger!!!

Now complete the whole exercise again with your other hand.

Regular warm up exercises can only be beneficial to you if you do them regularly.

Peter
PeterA
Active Poster

Postby PeterA » 26 Jul 2018 08:36

Here is a You Tube video recommending Warm up exercises:

This is a very helpful one.

And here is a more energetic one.

Peter
PeterA