Double / Triple Tonguing

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

Double / Triple Tonguing

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Feb 2019 23:50

Double / Triple Tonguing is when you hit the same note several times in rapid succession.

I had an email from an organist who had been listening to a CD played by Glyn Madden (Glyn runs the Yamaha Club) as follows:
Specifically I am looking for advice on how to create a double tonguing effect such as I have heard Glyn Madden use on his Freestyle CD. I have done a general search, plus just now posted a query on organforum. I cannot figure out what technique Glyn uses.

And further:
Hugh
Regarding double tonguing – someone has replied on the organforum suggesting you can alternate between thumb and finger, but they didn’t offer any clues as to how. I have tried but still can’t see how to get the lovely effect that Glyn achieves.
Kind regards,
Iain

Now as far as playing organs and keyboards is concerned I am just an 'amateur'. No professional training and I don't even read music. But I am wondering if any of our Members are suitably qualified to tell us how it is done.

I have given some input to this to the best of my knowledge, saying:
Hi Iain,
We have an organ club here in Weston-super-Mare and have a professional organist come and play every month. A few months ago he (can't remember who it was now) showed us how to do this 'double tonguing' (I hadn't realised it was called that). He turned his right hand slightly to the right, aimed at the bottom edge of a white note, and hit it with his fourth finger (and immediately sliding it off), followed by the third finger, and lastly the index finger (ie. he didn't use his thumb). So that's three fingers, not two. He said to do this slowly at first .. and then get faster and faster. As usual, it's practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature.
Hope this helps.
Hugh

And further:
Hi Iain,
I remember who the organist was now. It was Mark Thompson. He was pretty nifty with his fingers for the whole of his performance.
Best wishes,
Hugh

We have approached Glyn Madden of Yamaha Club (he should know, it was his CD!), and he has said:
Triple tonguing is a little more difficult - but it's just a case of practice.
Play each note three times in rapid succession by rotating finger 3, finger 2 then finger 1 (thumb). 321 321 321 321. You need to twist your right elbow towards the front of the keyboard slightly so that your '321' finger movement is positioned more in line with the length of the key (rather than running horizontally across it).

You'll hear much the same technique again on the same 'Freestyle' album in the tune Hora Staccato. This time though the note is only repeated twice each time using fingers 3 and 1 (thumb).
Kind regards,
Glyn

The difference between Glyn Madden and Mark Thompson appears to be that Glyn uses his thumb, whereas Mark appears not to. Any Member got anything to add to this? Andy?

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Double / Triple Tonguing

Postby andyg » 24 Feb 2019 11:40

Two ways of doing the 'classical' way of this technique.

3 2 1 (thumb), or 4 3 2, as described.

If you're fast enough, you might try 3 2 3 2, 3 1 3 1 or 2 1 2 1.

I think I've used all of these variants at some point, probably fitting the required one in to match the fingering that's needed before and after the triple tongued notes.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Image .. Image
Visit My Website: http://www.andrew-gilbert.com/
andyg
Super Poster

Return to Playing Technique