Interpreting a piece of music you play

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

Interpreting a piece of music you play

Postby Hugh-AR » 03 May 2019 08:56

I am always fascinated by how a piece of music is interpreted. If you are playing directly from the sheet music, then all the "phrasing" and nuances are probably there in the music and you will be playing somebody else's 'arrangement'. When I play a piece, I often listen to the piece on YouTube and try to base how I play it on that. So what I play is an arrangement I have done, but based on what I have heard (ie. I am playing it 'by ear').

But there are some people (who I would class as 'real musicians') who can play a piece with their own interpretation straight out the top of their head. What a talent! Here's an example of someone who does this. Jon D. Just listen to him playing I'm Looking Over A Four Leafed Clover. Not only does he play his own interpretation of this song, but he uses his expression pedal to bring the piece to life.

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
https://app.box.com/s/r1ksvm1gis7taw9whxyvr77decl9a353

Another thing I really like about his arrangements is how he does his 'intros'. Most people just press a button for the 'auto intro', sit back and wait .. and then come in with the song. He always 'plays along' with the intro which makes the intro 'special' for the song he is playing.
It's all about the music. Yamaha AR 80 Player.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner); December (Joint Winner)
2019 March (Joint Winner); May (Joint Winner); June (Joint Winner)
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Interpreting a piece of music you play

Postby Hugh-AR » 03 May 2019 10:07

Now I have played I'm Looking Over A Four Leafed Clover (in a Medley) and if you listen to this you will see (actually, hear) that they way I have played it is completely different to Jon D's. A bit more 'straight-laced' in my interpretation of the song! Haven't got that natural talent!

Medley: Baby Face / Hello Mary Lou / Milord / I'm Looking Over A Four Leafed Clover
https://app.box.com/s/5fjnrlcxjfmrjkml4lw7ctogm6ecobga

Note too the 'auto intro' for this Medley (sitting and waiting to start playing the tune) .. and the 'auto ending'.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2018 August (Joint Winner); October (Joint Winner); November (Joint Winner); December (Joint Winner)
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 05 May 2019 10:04

Here's a few more pieces by Jon D illustrating his complete mastership of musical interpretation. Again, he has his own 'bespoke' intros, and plays the pieces in his own inimitable way. Listen too to how his use of the expression pedal brings his pieces to life.

On The Street Where You Live
https://app.box.com/s/ohcs53uygnqq4c23v01rq1dhg4fwnshn

When I'm Cleaning Windows
https://app.box.com/s/b5h1gwmo0ayj9313rm2mtq0k25nyga65

Birth Of The Blues
https://app.box.com/s/bsywk3frcxzptx0dqkfkjght2mw3exzy
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 May 2019 09:44

But it's not just about 'interpreting the melody' your own way. Take Classical music. A piece may have been written for a whole orchestra and you are trying to convey the 'mood' of the piece from a music score written for just one person to play. It's the setting up of the voices you are using, how you bring them in, how you 'phrase' what you are playing and how you use the expression pedal that will reflect your ability to convey that 'mood' of the piece.

Here is a classical piece played by Ken (kens) that illustrates the above.

https://app.box.com/s/lvk3xqjyuehzngl9clvfwixxqxz8pn5e

As Punch would say on Weston-super-Mare sea front, "That's the way to do it!".
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 May 2019 17:53

Then we have another aspect of 'musical interpretation'. Instruments one would come across in a Jazz Band, like piano, trumpet, clarinet. trombone, saxophone ... who never play anything as it was written. They always have to 'muck about' with the melody, sometimes to the extent that the original melody is unrecognisable.

Don Wherly (DonW) played piano in his own band, so would have been constantly aware of what these other musicians were doing when they played. And how they played has been ingrained into his memory, so when he plays something with these instruments it comes naturally to him to play this way.

Listen to Don playing Home In Pasadena.

https://app.box.com/s/ujq6hde4gydmtkx7im00hctvvecb0h6o

This is what I said about this piece:
Love this 'swing' sound you get, and that steady beat with the drum and the banjo. I can hear you are going hammer and tongs with your feet on the pedals. How do you keep that up?!! And your band members are pretty sprightly too, ad-libbing on just about every note they play. And if anyone didn't think one could play solo instruments like this then just listen to the YouTube clip below.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 May 2019 18:13

Another example of musicians 'ad-libbing' what they play as they go along.

New Orleans Dixieland on Street

Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 20 May 2019 16:25

You all know Dancing Queen (Abba), I'm sure. How about this 'interpretation' of this piece? What was it I said?
They always have to 'muck about' with the melody, sometimes to the extent that the original melody is unrecognisable.

Dancing Queen - Abba (1920s Hot Jazz Cover) ft. Gunhild Carling

Did you recognise the tune? Gunhild Carling plays trumpet this time. Stick with it! She does a bit of tap dancing too. And what about that pianist? Some very talented musicians I fancy.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 21 May 2019 14:34

Continuing along the lines of interpreting a piece of music you play, here is "The Wonder Of You" played by James (NativeAngels) on his Korg Pa700.
He says:
I used registrations from the new Osimo Pa700 set. This set of registrations wasn't even for this song but thought it went well with it.

I said to James that this is quite a 'busy' backing to use for this song. James said that "The Wonder Of You" is usually played in 6/8 time.
Here below is Elvis singing it, so you can hear what James has done with this song.

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 08 Jun 2019 18:54

Here's another example of how to play saxophone on a keyboard and get it to sound really 'authentic'. This is by someone called Derek Miles and has been played on a Genos keyboard. It's the way he 'ad-libs' on the instrument that gives it this 'authentic' sound.

"When the deep purple falls over sleepy garden walls"

Click the LINK below to listen. Press the 'back button' after listening to get back to this page.
Deep Purple played on a Genos keyboard with a Saxophone .. DEMO

I could listen to this sort of music for hours! Wish I could play like that!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Jun 2019 01:17

Another 'interpretation' of a piece of music, this time by Peter S. New York City Boy by The Pet Shop Boys.

First listen to the original (YouTube clip below), and then listen to what Peter has done with it.

Below is Peter's take on this song played on his Korg PA4 keyboard.

https://app.box.com/s/nox9xpjneq4nnria6leihac9vsn7qc78

Peter hasn't just gone for the backing and sound of the original, but has set this up with his own style and voicing. Interesting!

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 17 Jun 2019 23:31

Here is a version of Love Me Tender (the Elvis Presley number) as played by Ken (kens). It's really refreshing to hear it played like this. An interesting interpretation of a piece of music.

https://app.box.com/s/c4fevfhywd1mh7koedty1sb8jl9wfoba

Going a step further with how to 'interpret' a piece of music, how do the professionals do it? Listen below to Love Me Tender as arranged and harmonized by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Music to my ears!

Elvis Love Me Tender w/ The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Hugh
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 23 Jun 2019 23:04

Here's an interpretation of George Gershwin's I Got Rhythm, arranged by Ajay (Tony Kettridge). This is a way out 'jazzy' piece, not easy to put together like this unless you have a real knowledge of music and know how a drummer might play this.

https://app.box.com/s/s47d0ngx7ozkvalqpm2dxxvo18rzdpea
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Playing Technique