Forgotten or left out chords.

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

Forgotten or left out chords.

Postby dentyr » 29 May 2019 00:51

Forgotten or left out chords

This post is to help the poor little forgotten chords that usually get left out of the song.
We all know (or I hope we all know) the basic chords, C, F, & G. These are the basic chords that we all start with. They are like the Red, Yellow and Blue .. parts that make up the rainbow colours. However, these colours meld together to make up the beautiful rainbow that we see.

Music has wonderful colours also. The lead chords such as the major and minor sevenths and the augmented chords lead us into the next chord. They are like the Orange, Green and Indigo of the rainbow.

There is one poor little chord that very often gets forgotten and left out; and that is the C#dim (C sharp diminished). It is usually put between the CMaj chord and the G7.
Play the CMaj chord, C, E, G, in the left hand. Now move the little finger OFF the C note and put it on the C#. Now you have C#, E and G which is the C#dim chord. Now that was no big deal was it?
Now move the little finger from the C# to the D note and at the same time move the finger from the E note to the F note. Wow, you have the G7 chord, D, F, G.
Now I know that this is an inverted chord but AI fingering takes care of that for you.

Next one is the Caug chord. This is a lead up chord to the FMaj chord.
Play C, E, G. then holding the C & E notes move up to the G# note (black one). This is the Caug chord. Now, holding the C note move the finger from the E to the F note and at the same time move the finger from the G# to the A note. This is the FMaj chord!

To play the “lead down” chord, play the notes C, E and Bb. This is the C7 chord. Now move the fingers from the Bb to the A note and the E note to the F note. Now you are again into the FMaj chord.

These chords give colour to the music. The Left hand is the MUSIC, the Right hand is the melody. Almost anyone can tap out a melody with the right hand but it takes the left hand to make the real harmony music.

Another chord often missed is the Diminished chord. There are only three diminished chords and they are easy to find but they make the world of difference to a melody.

End of my ramblings.

Regards,

Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Forgotten or left out chords.

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 May 2019 15:36

Hi Den,

Thanks for the observations above. Can you give us some examples of these as MP3 Demos? Maybe do it the two ways; one without your 'forgotten or left out chords', and one with?

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Forgotten or left out chords.

Postby Hugh-AR » 30 May 2019 21:25

Well, what I like about a Forum environment (as opposed to reading a music magazine) is that you have the opportunity to interact with a discussion 'live'. I have been thinking about what Den has said, and done a DEMO of what he has talked about.

The tune I have played is Que Sera, Sera. First, I have played a verse through with just the "Red, Yellow and Blue" chords of C, F and G.then I have played it through a second time, but this time added in the "Orange, Green and Indigo" to give the piece those beautiful rainbow colours.

Note: I play my 'diminished' chord with four notes, G - Bb - C# - E. This chord is Gdim .. which is the same as C#dim (contains the same notes, but with G as the root). Why? 1. I find this easier to play as I play the C chord as G - C - E, so the little finger on G doesn't move, and 2. I have two voices (Strings and Horn) allocated to the notes below the split which sound with the chord I am playing for the Style. So the more notes I have forming my Style chord the richer the sound. I play G7 as G - B - D - F (four notes again).

Also, as the first six bars are all C, on the second time round I have enriched the sound by adding notes 'walking down, and walking up' ie. holding the C and adding in turn, B, A, B and back to C. This changes the actual chord played to C; Cnat7; Am7; Cnat7; C.

The chords I have played are as follows:

1st time round:

Verse
/ C - - / C - - / C - - / C - - /
/ C - - / C - - / G7 - - / G7 - - /
/ G7 - - / G7 - - / G7 - - / G7 - - /
/ G7 - - / G7 - - / C - - / C - - /

Chorus
/ F - - / F - - / F - - / F - - /

2nd time round:

Verse
/ C - - / Cnat7 - - / Am7 - - / Cnat7 - - /
/ C - - / Gdim - - / G7 - - / G7 - - /
/ G7 - - / G7 - - / C - - / C7 - - /

Chorus
/ F - - / F - - / F - - / F - - /
/ C - - / C - - / C - - / Gdim - - /

Ending
/ C - - / C - - / F - - / F - - /
/ C - - / C - - / C -

Click on this LINK to listen. Press the 'back button' after to return to this page.
.. or do a right-click to open it up in a New Tab.

Que Sera, Sera DEMO

(1st time round played with 'basic chords'; 2nd time round with Den's 'lost chords'.)

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Return to Playing Technique