"Less is MORE" ??

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

"Less is MORE" ??

Postby Hugh-AR » 11 Aug 2019 00:16

When we are playing something it is very easy to put too much into a song. Either by having an 'over the top' backing (well, I suppose you would if you had a 'big band' backing) or by multitracking too many counter melodies and bits and pieces. It's fine to do this for part of a song (perhaps when building up to a finale) but often it is very much more effective to take the KISS approach .. as Brian007 would say. Keep It Simple See.

It's not going to be easy to find pieces to illustrate what is meant by 'over the top', as listening to music is a very personal thing and what might sound 'over busy' to one person might sound just perfect to another. And we don't want to upset anybody who thinks they have done a fantastic job on a recording and all we can hear is a 'cacophony of noise' (to coin a phrase from Den).

But I am grateful to John Traves (JPT) who has sent me this to get me going, and has made this comment:
I believe the phrase 'less is more' often obtains. This is an arrangement where I definitely over-did it. Just too much going on even though it seemed a good idea at the time. (Tyros)

Night and Day

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
https://app.box.com/s/j4ra871fqfgjknkpjl6b95z112gkgjth

Get the picture?

If you have a piece you reckon has too much going on in it, please let me know so I can include it in here.

Hugh (hugh@ar-group.org)
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: "Less is MORE" ??

Postby dentyr » 12 Aug 2019 23:24

Hello, I found the piece OK except for the trombone (?) lead. I would like to hear it without the lead instrument or with the lead volume toned down a little. It is a great piece. Really like your playing.
Add to that, it is a mistake that almost everyone makes when they get their first kbd. Three voices in the right, the left ON, Multipads all going and a "big noise" style. After a while we all learn that "Less is Best". Thanks for posting. Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Return to Playing Technique