Keyboard Tabs for Sheet Music

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

Postby dentyr » 19 Oct 2019 20:20

We are all familiar with Sheet Music that has the 'chords' written over the top. But do we know how these 'chords' are formed?

We often see Sheet Music with Guitar Tabs. They sometimes show the guitar frets at the top of the music and mark where the strings have to be 'fingered' to get the relevant chord. So you have something to refer to when you see the chords above the music.

And sometimes they put the guitar tabs with the chord over the top of the music so the guitarist can see how to form these chords as they go along.

So how about doing the same .. but showing how the chords are formed on a keyboard. Show which notes to press to get the chord showing.

Take a look at the PDF file showing below. You can scroll through the document to see what I am suggesting .. which is to cut out the little keyboard diagrams and to mark on them which notes you need to press to play the relevant chord .. and to stick these onto your sheet music as a reminder of how the chord is formed. In the same way that they do for Guitar Tabs.

Towards the bottom of the sheet I have put some 'blank' diagrams for you to print out. To do this, click on the LINK over the top, which will load with Adobe. You can then PRINT .. but just print Page 2. Cut out the diagrams, mark the fingering positions .. and then stick them to your music sheet. But don't cover up the written chord! Stick it close by. Then you will have a reminder of how the chord is formed as you are going along.

If the PDF file does not load, refresh the page (click the circle at the top of your browser; of press f5 on the keypad).
You can scroll down within the PDF document showing.

Do a right-click to open this up in a New Tab
http://www.ar-group.org/Files/KeyTabInstructions.pdf

Den
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Keyboard Tabs for Sheet Music

Postby Hugh-AR » 19 Oct 2019 23:18

Hi Den,

For anyone learning chords, this is a great idea. One can put in the notes giving the least 'movements' of the fingers ie. a chord inversion that's easy to get to. I would suggest too that they mark the fingering in eg. RED ink, so it's easier to pick out.

Hugh
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Re: Keyboard Tabs for Sheet Music

Postby JohnT » 20 Oct 2019 11:29

Hi Den. Looks like a good idea. Will look at it over the winter months. Thanks. John
Keyboard: Tyros 5
Image .. Image ..
Challenge Winner
2019 July (Joint Winner); August (Joint Winner)
2020 October (Joint Winner)
2021 June (Joint Winner)
JohnT
Prolific Poster

Return to Playing Technique