Sight reading music

Anything special about the way you play? Please post in here.

Sight reading music

Postby dentyr » 19 Jun 2021 09:39

Sight reading music. Put this together because I got fed up with the hundreds of so called piano players teaching how to read letters or numbers. (That's a good show on TV - Letters and Numbers)
Keyboard instruments, or for that matter, all instruments, are not marked A, B, C, or 1, 2, 3. The notes have a sound of their own.

Play the video and get mad at me! :D :evil: :!:

Kind Regards, Den.
Keyboards: Yamaha Tyros 4, PSR SX700, PSR S970and StagePa300
I knit dolls and animal toys.
I always try to do things which I can't do in order to learn how to do them. ..
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2020 September (Joint Winner); November
2021 May (Joint Winner)
2023 May; August (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Re: Sight reading music

Postby kens » 20 Jun 2021 11:57

Hi! Den
As a sight reader I am unable to think of a simpler way of informing a performer what to play. All we need to know is the name and position of 7 keys. A to G and their representation on a bit of paper. Then these are repeated across the entire keyboard by adding a number. ie middle C is usually 3C. If we had to learn all sounds and their key positions it would be like learning Chinese. A likely 88 sounds and their relevant keys. Also naming a note enables us to communicate accurately what we are trying to create. If I was asked to accurately describe the sound of a police siren all I need to say is 2 letters.
Without the ability to read scores I can see no satisfactory way to communicate that info.
Often in idle moments I sit down and read scores. I hear the music in my head as I read it but at that stage do not associate it with the ivory keys. However when it is in front of me on the keyboard I see it as notes to play and not sounds. I am unable to play by ear. However I can by play ear when playing the mouth organ. The beauty of reading scores is I can play any piece even where I have never heard it before. Another plus is one can take what we like from scores and add /delete our own interpretation of the piece. ie, use it as a guide.
cheers Ken
Organ: Yamaha EL700
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2023 August (Joint Winner)
kens
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 21 Jun 2021 05:12

Hello Ken,
If we had to learn all sounds and their key positions it would be like learning Chinese.

If you wanted to be fluent in Mandarin you would have to be able to recognize 8000 of the symbols. Writing Mandarin on the computer you have a bar at the bottom of the screen or another screen. You type in each part of the symbol and when you have it all along the strip you press the enter key and it forms the completed word or phrase. 像這樣。 I agree that you may need to recognize maybe all of the keys on a piano keyboard but if you have to play by "ear" then you have countless sounds to remember and get them correct.
I told my student that she must not write letters or numbers on her sheet music. I want her to read the music score. When she arrived yesterday I told her it was exam time. I never tell my students about tests in advance. I gave her my hymn book opened to a simple page and said "Play." She followed my instructions, play the right hand through on its own twice. Then play the chords, then play both together. In 15 minutes she was able to play the piece. She has 3 jobs and is studying accountancy so there is not much time for practice. She has had the kbd now for about 4 months. I don't know how long it would take someone to learn all 300 songs in my music books, especially if they had to listen to ME playing! :D
Again I agree with you about putting your own stamp on the song. Learn the song from the script and get it correct, then give it the expression that you feel.
Naming a note enables us to communicate accurately what we are trying to create.

This is true as long as we understand the notation. On a flute or saxophone there are no "black and white" notes, just finger positions. You learn the sound of the finger positions.
Thank you for posting this, I am so glad that you replied. I think it could cause a lot of controversy amongst players.
Regards, Den.

Have just been scanning the YouTube from my link. This is what one fellow wrote about piano teachers teaching music. I tend to agree.
@Jovis They delight in sucking all the joy out of it and turning it into math equations just because they can.
Den.
Werk maakt je vrij. Muziek maakt je blij. Work sets you free. Music makes you happy.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 22 Jun 2021 10:25

Hi!
I feel that subject of chords falls in the remit of this topic. I never did learn to recognise labelled chords, sticking to the traditional piano method. For me the chord symbol is a mathematical nightmare. Having the notes on a stave enable inversions, augmentations, etc to be freely displayed. Also it breaks up the chord so notes are played at various intervals adding colour to the performance. Admittedly it would be best if I mastered both systems. Ken
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
kens
Prolific Poster

Postby Hugh-AR » 22 Jun 2021 18:33

They delight in sucking all the joy out of it and turning it into math equations just because they can.

That is how I feel every time I see a 'Circle of Fifths'!

When I listen to music I am listening to the harmony and know immediately what chord would make that sound. Not the actual chord played, as that involves the 'pitch' of it as well, but the chord/harmony as if the piece were being played in the key of C. If I saw a D, an F# and an A on a sheet of music I would not hear the harmony of that in my head. Major chord, Minor chord, Augmented chord .. or just a jumble of discordant notes?

And when listening to harmony, I can hear which note of the chord is 'on top'. If I hear a C chord played as GCE I can hear it is the 'third' on top. If I hear an F chord played as ACF I can hear it is the 'root' on top. If I hear a G chord played as GBD then that is the 'fifth' on top. Don't like the sound of that! So would never play a chord with the fifth on top. For a 7th chord I like to hear either the 7th or the 3rd on top. So as harmony is the most important thing to me I always (well, mostly .. not always) like to have a left hand voice playing along with my Style.
It's all about the music ♫ ♪ ♫ Organ: Yamaha AR80 & Keyboard: Tyros 4
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner); July; September
2022 July; August
2023 April; June; September
Hugh-AR
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 24 Jun 2021 10:41

Whats a chord ? Ken ( tongue in cheek )
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
kens
Prolific Poster

Postby dentyr » 24 Jun 2021 11:39

Something that ties you up. :D
Den
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
2021 May (Joint Winner)
dentyr
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 24 Jun 2021 21:19

Hi den. I've never tried bondage. Are you an expert Ken
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
kens
Prolific Poster

Postby kens » 26 Jun 2021 22:17

Hi!
I have uploaded to the religious page a hymn. In it I have made use of the expression pedal and stretched
the timeline to create some passion in it. I like to think this is an important part of performing which is
largely overlooked. Do members share my view? Ken S.
Image .. Image
Challenge Winner
kens
Prolific Poster

Return to Playing Technique